Pinguecula & dry eyes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Several weeks ago my eyes felt 'gritty' and painful. On a visit to the Optician, she reassured me that it was nothing serious, but age related - sun damage, and 'comfort' drops were recommended.

But later thought, sun, what sun!? Though did start wearing sun-glasses.

A visit to a doctor resulted in - 'mild conjunctivitis' - with some eye-drops that didn't seem to make any difference.

Still, finding them pain full, indeed to me there seemed a split in the white, showed my Partner who could see in one eye two bumps!

Visit the doctors again - Pinguecula - nothing to worry about it's benign, given 'tear' capsules, which do help.

But it's the puzzle how it happened, and will the discomfort reoccur? Is it hair care, household cleaning, or the codydramol (for arthritis), or even the wash/dryer is suspect!!?

When will I get back to 'normal'??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I have recently been diagnosed as having pinguecula. It came out of the blue in that one morning I woke up and there was a visible bump on the white of my eye which was slightly reddened. After having it for a week I went to the doctor who was fairly dismissive and sent me away with eye drops and suggested I see an optician. I visited my optician the following week by which time the lump had gone down but was still visible. I also saw a shadow forming on the other eye.

The optician diagnosed pinguecula and basically said that it was an age thing - like getting grey hair. I am a very active 52 year old and really don't want a lump in my eye. Basically, he said that it is likely to become more noticeable and that there is nothing that can be done other than use lubricating eye drops when having a flare up.

• Posted

Hi

I had at least three, and yes was upset seeing them in my eye. At least reassured that there were not malignant.

Tried other opticians - eventual recommend a private 'dry-eyes' clinic. They said don't worry about the pingueculas, the problem was the clogged glands. after that started using an eye-pad -in the microwave for 30 seconds, then over the eye lids for ten minutes.

This has been a major benefit, improvements started after about a week - itching etc., moreover the 'lumps' have gone down - hardly see them now.

In addition, I've gone on to an oily fish diet - e.g. mackerel in sunflower/olive oil - high in omega3.

Going back to the clinic shortly for a check-up - but more optimistic - my routine is more like it used to be.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with this pinguecula got in both eyes but the left 1 is worse its depressing me to be honest dont even like looking in the mirror went to docs gave me drops but eyes hurting worse now asked about having surgery said not an option unless it goes onto my pupils!!!  thinking of going private to have them taken out so do you recommend the eye pad where can I get it from please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.