Pins and needles

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Hippies,

2 months on from my last post about onset of pain at 6months post op and the aching is still there and now accompanied by a vague numbness and pins and needles in my foot. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an appointment with the surgeon on monday so hopefully will have his opinion on all this but wondered how common it is. It's v. depressing to be wishing I hadn't had the op as that's how I am feeling now. :-(

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had my hip replaced a little more than 3 months ago. Before my surgery I was very active and was in great health with no problems except for the bad hip. I have had pins and needles along with numbness in my right foot. I have taken several falls because if it. I still do not drive. I am always numb from my hip to my knee on the outer thigh area. I still have groin and hip pain. At times it hurts to walk. My PT suggested I see a neurologist. I go next week. I do not really feel any relief yet since the surgery. I hope that you will recover soon.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the response; so sorry to hear that you have the same problem which seems more serious than mine; were you ever pain free after the op? Have you been back to the surgeon for an opinion? These problems have to be resolved or the risks associated with the op are starting to outweigh the so-called advantages...

• Posted

Hi Howeller, I see the surgeon every 4 weeks. He does not feel concerned nor recommended anything except do what I can tolerate. Honestly I do not feel any better. I see him today. I also hope that I get some answers from the neurologist. I am afraid my job is on the line. I so much just want to move on with my life. I realize it can take up to a year to heal. Most people I encounter have returned to work in 4-6 weeks. It certainly is discouraging and depressing at times.
    • Posted

Hi Susan it still hurt me to walk at 3 months so I wouldn't worry about that it takes many months before the pain goes from the op site and surrounding muscles. Again working after 4-6 weeks is pretty amazing though absolutely possible if you have a desk job. I would worry about the numbness and pins and needles which is never ok, so best to monitor that on a day to day basis.  Good luck with the neurologist. I will update this discussion next week when I have seen the surgeon...
  • Posted

My sympathies to both of your, Howeller and Susan! Whenever there is the numbness and pins/needles sensation, I think it is a great idea to see a neurologist, as it may have something to do with nerves. Howeller, I hope your surgeon can help. If not, then why not seek a second opinion from a different orthopedic surgeon in a different practice from your original surgeon? And perhaps you, too, could see a neurologist, like Susan is doing. 

I, too, am still in worse shape after my THR than before. I have gotten a second opinion from a new orthopedic surgeon and he diagnosed gluteal tendon tears that the first surgeon couldn't find. I will be having surgery to repair those tendons soon, so I have hope that my problems will be resolved. Hoping the same for you, Howeller, and Susan.

• Posted

Hi Annie K, I am so sorry to hear of your outcome. I certainly hope that you will recover from your surgery and be able to return to a pain free life. Will keep all posted on the neurology appointment .
    • Posted

Hi Annie

I see the surgeon on monday and if the x-rays don't show anything wrong with the hew hip I will mention the possibility of other causes unless he tells me that this sometimes happens and I will improve over time. Good luck with your new surgery. Thanks for the reply

• Posted

Good idea. X-rays don't show problems with muscles/tendons/ligaments, you need other types of imaging for that. And there are other tests for nerve damage. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouraging words, Susan. Looking forward to hearing what the neurologist says to you!
  • Posted

Hi Howeller, I remember you from last year. I had my first hip done in June.

I am so sorry you are having problems, so miserable.

I have now had both my hips replaced and am pain free. Unfortunately I also have OA in my lower spine. The pain I had with this was all mixed up with hip pain but is apparent in its own right now. I do get pinched nerves from the squished vertabrae which gives me occasional weakness down my legs and pins and needles in the top of my foot.

I hope you get some answers - it is so much better to know what is going on.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

thanks for that update I will certainly get to the bottom of this; I do believe I have OA in my spine and elsewhere also. At my 6 week check the sugeon said that he would look at my spine and other hip at my 12 month check. My symptoms have come on suddenly though so I may have trapped a nerve or something. Will post again on this thread when I have some info. 

• Posted

Pins and needles update confused

Hi everyone I have seen the surgeon who is confident that this is a trapped sciatic nerve. Classic symtoms apparently... but he is arranging an MRI to confirm. He says take lots of exercise so now swimming half a mile once a week and walking everyday...

Symptoms come and go but am feeling more positive now that the hip has been xrayed and looks fine... fingers crossed it goes away by itself eventually!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.