Pins being removed

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all - I'm 3 weeks in after a double scarf/akin and repair of my 2 hammer toes on  my second toes. My consultant never suggested that having all this done at once was too much but everyone since has told me how brave I've been! The bunion part has not been too bad but the 2 pins in my second toes are really painful. From  what I've read there's a 50/50 chance of their removal being painful but I'm so keen to get them out next week (4) I will take anything! I'm wondering what happens once the pins  are removed? Will I still have to wear the horrible darco boots or will I be able to wear trainers. I can't wait! I wondered whether I should buy a bigger size wide width trainers yet and whether if feels really painiful to start walking normally. again after a month of heel walking?! I'd be really interest to hear about other's experience. Many thanks Lucy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

i had my bunions done and AlLL my other toes straightened.

i am 7 weeks in and had my pins out a few weeks ago.

i will be absolutely honest with you, it KILLED  !

the only good thing is that it's over very quickly.

if I were you, take some pain Medes an hour Orr two before and then you at least have a bit of cover.

good luck

robyn

• Posted

Thank thanks for your honesty Robyn! I feared that and as my feet are so super sensitive it makes sense to prepare for the worst - can't be as painful or long as having a baby and I did that twice! 
  • Posted

Hi Lucy. Having the pins out was a huge turning point. I was so worried but it didn't hurt surprisingly. Obviously there is a would in each toe when they come out. I was so upset that the foot is rebandaged again to ensure the wound is healed for another 2 weeks of heel walking in the medical shoesmile only then can you walk but your foot is stiff and it is a slow process. I am 8 weeks post op today and it will be my first Pilates lesson today. I will be holding onto the wall for balance as weigh earring on this foot is fine-ish but tiptoes def not. Shoes haha. I wear my husbands size 44 trainers. I expect my vasylili off the shelf orthotics today (recommended by consultant as the foot will change and it's too early for made to measure). My size 42 trainers that I tried to wear but doing a mile walk had me hobble. I went into Hotter shoe shop (I aged 10 years!) and shoes fitted me but I am used to wearing Mephisto so will make the effort and go on the tube to London to Sanders, just there and back to get extra wide 43 or perhaps 42 hopfully
    • Posted

Swelling is bad but improved considerably at 12 weeks. Slow improvement since then. Skechers GoWalk with memory foam have been best for me.
    • Posted

Thanks Brenda - haha know what you mean about aging 10 years looking at hotter shoes.....I just can't wait to ditch the darco shoes and the endless Velcro! It's good to know by 8 weeks I might fit into my husband's trainers at least smile
  • Posted

I had scarf and akin osteotomies, both feet, 18 weeks ago., no hammer toes. Seven weeks post surgery boots gone, could only wear Uggs type boots 3 sizes too big. My advice is to wait until you are at the six weeks before buying. Everyone heals differently and your experience may not be the same as mine.

I was also told brave having both feet done at the same time but have no regrets.

Hope the pin removals go well as possible, to take pain killers sounds like the best advice.

• Posted

thanks for the ugg boot tip and  I will wait for a bit longer before buying any shoes!
  • Posted

Hello Lucy I only had one foot (bunion and 2nd hammer toe) I am amazed how everyone is given varyingpost operative  instructions,Im sure you are too. I am only 2 weeks down the line, had my first dressing change yesterday and am due to have my k-wire out at 6 weeks ( dreading it,although seen it done on you tube and the patients didn't even wince!). Ive been told to continue to keep foot dry, weekly dressings until wire out. Plan is to walk on heel now for 2 days then flat footed for the remainder. I had no swelling due to absolutely no weight bearing as instructed, so thats good, When pin is removed, I have been told to bring my trainers with me ( hopefully thy will fit!) I am due to return to work 2 weeks after pin out which I don't think wil be easy, I work long shifts as a nurse, so likely staged return. Wishing you well with your recovery, I don't know what I would have done without this website!!
    • Posted

Thanks Nellie I absolutely agree this website is so helpful and I've leant a lot about foot surgery and recovery. Good luck too with your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.