pip

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on high rate DLA for over 3yrs,but things have changed for the worse, so i made a ne claim or pip,am now worried i will lose everything,

can someone please advice

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Can anyone help me,been on DLA high rate or 3yrs but things have changed for

the worse.....so i put new claim for mobility......but had to put ne claim in for PIP,

am no scared i have or going to lose everything,can someone advise me x

• Posted

DLA does not exist anymore. It is called PIP. If your condition is the same you will just be transferred over to PIP at the same rate. If you have improved then you may get your rate reduced. 

They are more strict at the medical but just do and provide what they ask for. If you need to appeal a decision you can always contact your local CAB or disability charity that should help you complete an appeal. Last year something like 40 % of appeals where successful so it's worth doing it. Hope it helps. 

When you say worse do you mean your condition ? 

• Posted

Thanks Chris,

I went for my assessment today and found them really nice.......to be honest i was stressed as you worry your going to lose everything....i am on high rate DLA  but my health has went down hill......i have several things wrong with myself and on a lot of drugs including

control drugs......i applied for mobility and hope all went well today,

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after your meeting with ATOS

• Posted

I hope your assessment went well, although I hope you don't end up with the same experience I had. I have fallen victim to a trick I am sure many have fallen for as well - the nice man/lady act. When I first arrived for my assessment I was alone because my friend had an very iimportant business call so he went outside. Because of my anxiety I was very shaky and constantly biting my nails. I was called in and was given a few minutes to calm down. The assessor seemed very nice and considerate, she then went through the descriptors and how my conditions and after an hour I was out. I got my decision letter with 0 points with the everything in the decision makers reasoning being the complete opposite of what I said.
  • Posted

Actually DLA does still exist but it is only available to under 16s, anyone over that age will need to apply for PIP. PIP aka Personal independence Payment was advertised as a benefit which is to help those severely affected by thier conditions. The DWP stated that many claimed DLA without actually needing the support it offered so significantly toughened PIP so that there is much few claimants then for PIP then DLA.

PIP, like DLA, has 2 components: Daily Living and mobility. You need to score at least eight points to get the standard rate of either components, both components have descriptors in which you score points based on which applies to you. First you have to call the DWP PIP claims line, they will ask you a few questions, usually personal details, card infomation and the address of your GP. Afterwards they will send you a PIP2 form where you can write how your condition affects your ability to carry out the descriptors as well as to include medical infomation to support your claim, this will come with a FREEPOST envelope so you don't need to pay to send the info back. You should then get a letter from either Atos or Capita (depends on where you live) saying they have received your claim, you will most certainly be asked to attend an assessment so to get more infomation. Assessments will usually take about 20 mins to an hour and the person doing the assessment will write a report on what you stated and what they observed and will send it with any additional evidence you give them to the DWP. Once the DWP receive the report it will be sent to a decision maker who will go through all evidence and apply your problems to points under eaxh descriptor. Upon completion you'll be sent a letter stating whether or not you get PIP, if you don't you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration where another decision maker will look at all the your evidence again and make a fresh decision, although it is unlikely to be changed if no further infomation is given.

Tips:

1. be thorough in your PIP2 form.

2. Provide concrete evidence as many DMs tend to dispute evidence.

3. Make sure to state good and bad days especially at assessments as it could be written down that you may have overstated your problem if you attend an assessment in a state that is contradictory to what you said in your PIP2 form.

Go on benefitsandwork.co.uk, disabilityonline.org.uk, CAB and forums such as youreable.com to get more help and advice.

• Posted

Whilst what you say is good advice, it is only relevant if you are both mentally and physically able to (a) complete the PIP2 properly, (b) gather evidence and pay for it, and (c) handle the assessment in a way that would give you the best chance of success.

Most, including myself will fail at all three. There are no such 'advice agencies' or welfare officers in my area other than CAB which to be honest are not really up to the job since the cuts to legal aid. They mean well, but aren't qualified.

There is the advice and there is the reality!

I am on HR mobility & HR Care DLA and fully expect to get 0 with PIP simply because I do not have the capablities to put forward a good enough case.

• Posted

They are still re assessing people on DLA for PIP. They have not assessed me yet. My advice to anyone still on DLA would be DO NOT APPLY FOR PIP VOLUNTARILY. THEY WILL ASSESS YOU AT SOME POINT.

In the meantime as long as you are still getting your DLA money, let them take their time.

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah thats ok if your health is just the same,but i have went down hill....although am on high rate DLA i wanted to apply for mobility

i went for my assement today so fingers crossed all went well

Myrax

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.