PIP and ESA working together?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I recently filled and sent in a PIP claim form (change over from DLA to PIP). I phoned to see if they had received it on Friday (sent in on the Tuesday) and they said not yet. She assured me if they don't receive it by the due date on 3rd Dec, they will issue me with another claim form and "reset the timer" because I had been in touch with them about it. So far so good.

But, today I received a letter from ESA saying exactly the same as the letter I got from them last year, that I was placed in the support group from 22nd Jan 2016 to 1 Dec 2016, the only difference being the date when the letter was written. The latest one was dated 22nd November.

Now I have read that PIP and ESA work together, this can only be a bad sign. I'm thinking they've read my claim form and some idiot has decided that I'm not getting anything any more so my ESA will end on 1 Dec. God knows what I'm going to do because I know my doctor won't sign me back on for work - he knows I can't work.

It's Saturday today so I can't phone them until Monday. I'll report back then.

Meanwhile, has anybody had anything like this before?

Cheers.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I know its liking shutting stable door etc but always send anything to government departments by recorded or registered post, that way you will know for sure its arrived as someone has to sign for it.

I'm not sure that its correct that your time scale will change because you phoned in, new one on me but I personally had no problems.

Did you keep a copy of your pip forms, is so send a copy via Reg or Rec delivery and then wait and see what happens, always get a name and section number when calling and ask them to log your call on system and confirm to you that call has been recorded

After all that it should get responded to pretty quickly if your lucky

• Posted

No they're totally different benefits. ESA is for those that can't work. PIP is a disability benefit.  Have you recieved another ESA50 form? If you haven't then they wouldn't stop your ESA on 1st December. Your ESA should continue until you're reassessed.

• Posted

Hi Denise/Anthtony, thanks for that.

Yes I know they are separate benefits but what worries me is the information I read on the benefits and work website entitled ESA Medicals Now Decide PIP And Vice Versa.

This was reported in December 2014 where they were using ESA medical reports to help decide PIP result (in a nutshell) in order to "speed up processing times and avoid face-to-face assessments", but whether it is still relevant or not I honestly don't know.

• Posted

Hi Patricia

just to check I have this right you were given a time award for ESA until 1st December 16 in January 16 and the DWP have now sent out a reminder (dated 22 November) saying your claim is due to end on 1 December?

If so it is hard to understand how this has anything to do with your recent DLA to PIP claim. You were always going to be reassessed when your timed award ran out. Normally you are reassessed 12 months BEFORE the claim is due to end but in your case it should have been after 6 months. The fact the DWP haven’t yet reassessed you is a good thing as the claim could of ended in June/July.

I have to agree with Denise I would think the claim will now be extended until a reassessment is arranged.

• Posted

Hi Anthony, I'll be honest i've never heard of DWP reassessing those on ESA a whole 12 months before their award ends. They do this for PIP but not ESA. My ESA award was up in October this year and they sent me another ESA50 form in July. I returned it 2 weeks later and stayed in the Support group with the need for an assessment.

• Posted

without the need for assessment that should read. I hate not being able to edit posts...
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry , I am bit confused about your PIP form still not been received by DWP. First time I am hearing that they can extent your time via phone just like that. Unfortunately DWP contact centre people can give incorrect information on the phone.

I would firstly ring them again to chase your sent form. You shouldn't have to fill another form unless your current one is definitely missing. I hope you sent it via recorded or special delivery so you can give them details while you are on the phone. You should definitely find out what happened to your form.

ESA and PIP are separate benefits . I understand it's not nice to deal with both of them at the same time.

And like Denise said ; they cannot stop your ESA without having reassessment.

Good luck

• Posted

If the form was only sent last Tuesday and Patricia rang Friday that isn't a lot of time to be honest. Post often takes longer than 7 working days and longer for them to recieve it.

• Posted

You are right denise. I was thinking if she sent it via first class recorded delivery or special delivery. Still , I think she needs to ring DWP and talk to them again .
    • Posted

I'm afraid I only sent the PIP form back in the envelope they provided, not recorded or anything. I have always done this with DLA and ESA over the five years I've been claiming and not had a mishap yet, although there's a first time for everything! I'll keep a close check on that over the next week.

My son searched online and he thinks the ESA letter is some kind of automatic administration thing perhaps to do with the christmas bonus or something. It doesn't say on their letter that my claim will end on that date, in fact it says I am being placed in the support group. It's just a replica of the letter I got in January this year. 

I'll phone ESA tommorrow (Monday) because it's really bugging me now.

• Posted

If it is the letter about the Christmas bonus it confuses a lot of people.  You'd think it would be simple for DWP to put in big letters at the top something like

"Do not worry about this letter.  It is only to inform you about your Christmas bonus.  Nothing else will change at this stage."

and then go on to whatever waffle that they have to include legally.  It would save a lot of worry and a lot of phone calls to DWP to check what it's about.

• Posted

OK First things first. You cannot do anything about this till Monday so do not spend the weekend worrying about it, there is no point. I know that is easier said than done.

I am waitng for them to tell me my DLA is finished and inviting me to apply for PIP.  Until they do I am still getting my DLA.

They have really messed this transition up and are so far behind with their assessments.

Is there a local CAB or Welfare Rights Group who could help you out with all this?

Best of luck and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. Yes, I will go straight to my welfare people with the local council if the muck hits the fan with this.

Good luck with yours when you get it. 

• Posted

Update - I phoned ESA this morning and I don't think the girl really knew what was going on, she just kept telling me I was still in the support group so I just left it. 

I received a text on my mobile at 8am this morning from PIP saying they had my form and that I may have to attend a medical assessment. Just the standard message I think they give almost everybody. Now it's the waiting game.

Thanks all for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.