Pistol Concerns

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had surgery on 9/7/16 on my right hand and wrist for CT release and De Quervain release. I'm a little concerned because when I went in for surgery I had little tingling on the tips of my fingers and very bad pain in my wrist, but now have extreme tingling in my thumb, middle finger, and half the palm of my hand closest to my thumb. I also can't spread my thumb far or bend it back much. When doing certain things I feel a strong pulling in the inside of my wrist and if I tap on my wrist (barely) I feel tingling going into my hand. I went in for a follow up on 9/22/16 and was told it was normal and that the tingling would go away, but wasn't given a timeline as to how long it would take. I was also not advised to do therapy either. I was told to wear my splint for another 10 days which was through yesterday. I haven't gotten any better and I'm starting to wonder if there was something done to my median nerve by mistake. Does anyone know if this is normal or whether I should be concerned. Plan on calling my Dr. to ask what's next.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Title should be Postop Concerns. My phone did an autocorrect.
  • Posted

The answer rather depends on what your pre-operative nerve conduction results were - if any were done. If the nerve was severely abnormal then the tingling may be a sign of improvement, if only mildly abnormal then it should be recovered by now. The other sensations are probably just a result of the mechanical changes to the wrist made by surgery. Dr J Bland
    • Posted

I had a nerve conduction study done in July 2014 and was told I had mild carpal tunnel in the right hand. I was told to wear a splint at night and while doing activities that caused me pain, which I started doing. I started losing weight in Sept. 2014 and by June 2015 I lost a total of 54lbs. With the weight loss all my symptoms of the carpal tunnel went away and I stopped using the splint. I got pregnant in June 2015 and was still fine until the last month of pregnancy when my hands started going numb again at night and when doing certain activities. My OB thought it was just from the extra fluid and would go away after pregnancy. During my C-Section in, March 2016, both hands went numb and stayed numb for about a month on the left and the right eventually got to where there was only slight tingling in the tips of my fingers right before surgery in Sept 2016. I started having pain in both wrist almost immediately after having my son and it got progressively worse. I went to the Dr. who performed my surgery in April 2016 and was told the wrist pain was from tendinitis in my wrist and the tingling/numbness in right hand was from the carpal tunnel and we tried steroid shots in both wrist and the carpal tunnel. It worked for about 6 weeks in both wrist before pain returned and I didn't see any difference in the carpal tunnel, but it was just mild tingling in the fingertips all the time. The Dr. told me after surgery that the carpal tunnel was really bad and that it was extremely tight. I'm just really hoping for some relief in the right hand because it's pretty tough trying to take care of a baby with a hurting wrist (on the left still) and a hand that still not functioning after surgery ( on the right). I still need surgery on the left wrist, but after this experience I'm not looking forward to it.

• Posted

Surgeons always make that comment about it looking really bad at surgery. In my view it means nothing at all. If I read that story correctly then your NCS were two years ago and are therefore so old as to be useless for practical purposes, especially as quite a lot has happened since. In the absence of up to date pre-operative studies I would wait until 4-6 weeks after surgery and if symptoms were still a serious problem at that stage I would carry out some new NCS and also ultrasound imaging if it was my department - but there are ot many places that do the ultrasound I'm afraid. Without the pre-operative studies interpreting the NCS is difficult but still better than nothing if you have a patient with persisting problems. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback! I'm planning on giving it another week or so to see if it's any better and if not will be scheduling another appointment to see where we go from here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.