Pitting oedema

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi about 3 summers ago I was bitten by an insect, the bite grew and becamse about the size of 50p piece and went black, my leg swelled and the GP said I had cellulitis and to go straight to hospital if it got worse, it eventually went down, but my leg has always been a bit red above the ankle and sore, for the past 9 months or so this leg is really sore and the skin above the ankle is red and purple and feels a bit numb, not constantly some days it quite normal. I was having treament last week for sciatica and the physio said she thought I might have a DVT as the leg was red and hot, I have been asking about this leg at the GP for months now, they look and say it is hot but do nothing, anyway I was sent for an urgent DVT referral which came back negative and was told it was pitting oedema, I have an appointment later today to see about it. What I am more terrified of is that since I had virual tonsilitis and chest infection in January have been having on and off chest pains, have had all the test x rays, blood etc and am seeing a cardiologist on Monday, but have always been told it was acid reflux, having googled oedema (stupid I know) it could be caused by heart disease, I am not breathless, just occasionally need to cough and feel a bit tight, but that could be acid related. My concern is why have the doctors not connected the two symptoms, if it is heart disease can it be treated. I am overweight, but trying to lose it, do not smoke I am now so anxious. Any thoughts please

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I STARTED THIS ODEMA BECAUSE I WAS TAKING A MEDICATION CALLED MELOXICAM 15 MG FOR MY BACK. IT IS AN ANTI-INFLAMATORY. AS SOON AS I STARTED IT I NOTICED MY FEET, ANKLES AND LEGS WERE SWELLING UP. I DIDNT PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO IT AND THIS WENT ON FOR 3 MONTHS SO ONE NIGHT MY HUSBAND AND I WERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I WAS TAKING THAT WAS DIFFERENT AND WE DISCOVERED THAT THIS MEDICATION WAS THE ONLY NEW THING. I STOPPED IT RIGHT AWAY AND THE SWELLING WENT DOWN A LITTLE. I HAVE NOT TAKEN THIS MEDICATION FOR OVER A MONTH AND MY LEGS LOOK LIKE TREE TRUNKS AND MY FEET LIKE FLINSTONE FEET. THE FEET AND ANKLES ARE VERY SWOLLEN AND MY LEGS ARE SO SWOLLEN THEY ARE HARD. THIS DOESNT EVEN GO DOWN WHEN I SLEEP. I CAN NO LONGER FIT INTO ANY OF MY SHOES. THE DOCTOR PUT MY ON LASIX 40 MG BECAUSE HE SAID IT IS EXCESS WATER RETENTION BUT THAT HASNT DONE ANYTHING EITHER. NOW HE IS TELLING ME IT IS BECAUSE I AM OVERWEIGHT.I HAVE BEEN OVER WEIGHT FOR 30 YEARS AND THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. ONE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS MEDICATION IS ODEMA. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO STOP THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW .
    • Posted

Honestly patty42962,

it sounds to me like it could be Lymphoedema. Your legs are not getting rid of the fluid that travels into them. However, do you elevate them? The fluid should travel back into your body if you elevate them. Also, does your belly kind of hang down and put pressure on your groin area (where the top of your thigh bends)? I do, and that hinders the normal flow out of your leg.

• Posted

Of course I'm not a Dr, I'm just saying it sounds like it. Also, is the skin getting kind of translucent or bubbly? You'll need to watch for signs of sores ....cellulitis as a side affect from all the swelling.
    • Posted

i put my feet up last night for 2 hours and the calves went down a little but the feet still were really swollen. My doctor said some liquid was leaking in my legs. i really need to know how to fix this. i cant fit into my shoes.
    • Posted

my legs get really tight and the skin gets shiney. they are hard like a tree trunk and the feet are really fat even my toes.
    • Posted

Yep, that's how my cellulitis looked at first until sores developed bc the skin bursts in little places and leaks out fluid. You need to mention lymphoedema to them and cellulitis from it. And it you can't get a compression sock on now, you won't be able to until they treat you to get that leg down and that's a long process. God bless you...and me. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's been a nightmare for me.
    • Posted

The skin has changed on my toes and feet from staying stretched and swollen. It's hard and sandpaper feeling....strange. I could only wear a size 10 Croc and I wear a 7.5 normally. Recently the hospital made me a velcro sandal and that's working pretty bc at least I can wear 1 normal looking shoe and then the affected foot just looks like I hurt it with this padded sandal on it. It opens across the top so it can accommodate all swelling. It's called a Contact sandal...you might ask for 1 and they custom made mine right there.
    • Posted

wednesday i am going to the doctors to have a leg wrap. i saw this on line and i am not sure how i am going to walk around with this. the doctor said he wants me to stay home for 3 days and keep my feet up. i cant get my feet in any shoes except for 1 pair. i sure hope this works. i sit all day at work and the doctor said that is the worst thing i could do right now. how could this medication cause this ? i have never had such a terrible thing. do you think this wrap will help me?
  • Posted

Hi went to GP he said it was due to cellulitis from the insect bite years ago. The bite can cut off something (can't remember what he called it) just that blood has to find a different way round which causes the varicose veins, once you have cellulitis it stay for life which is why only 1 leg is like this. I have to use a cream called EURAX twice a day and elevate my legs when possible. Glad it was not anything heart related. Have put cream on for past 2 days cannot honestly feel any difference but will keep going as it might take a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.