Pituitary gland probs.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

just joined make allowance please.

has anyone any experience of a growth on the Pituitary gland that has depressed?

Dusing a recent stay in hospital it was suggested this may be one of my problems. Seems there's already a growth on the Thymus Gland to resolve but symptoms suggest other probs along with a variety of blood probs.

Anyone out there with any input would be greatly appreciated. The waiting for appointments and treatments are cracking me up.

stay safe all x

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I hope your doc also did your Iron Studies, not just iron.  Let us know how you go.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi again, Docs came and went...Endo Crynologist 'seems' to have covered all tests though. I'm waiting to have the Thymus Gland out as there is s growth there. The Pit. gland and the 'depressed growth saga' is also ongoing. I've just got an appointment today to see a neuro consultant at a day clinic. Hopefully things are at last moving on. Biggest issue aside from the drugs is the constant double vision.

Means no work and I am a work fanatic.....

Thanks for your interst will advise after clinic.

Regards, KenM

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Having had an adenoma on my pit gland myself which produced too much prolactin and stuffed up other hormones, I do not know what a depressed growth on a pit gland is.  Do you mean it is REDUCING production of hormone glands?

Double vision usually means it is large enough to press on to the artery or whatever that feeds your eyes - sorry for vagueness.  I could look it up and sound more knowledgeable but pressed for time.

My pit gland adenoma was caused by iron overload (haemochromatosis which took 9 years to diagnose - pre google!) and the prolactin and tumour could be reduced by medication, which I had to insist on rather than surgery.

How much googling have you done on this subject.  It is very important to educate yourself too so that you know exactly what the drs are doing or should be doing.

It must be out of the scope of others too otherwise you would have got more feedback.  Maybe you could give us more details.  Don't forget to ask dr for copies of all your tests.

Have you had an MRI yet?  This is necessary for anything affecting the pit gland and Thymus.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi again

Thanks for reply and interest.

When I was shunted to hospital from local docs appointment things were very vague. Double vision and fatigue being the symptoms presented to the hospital. They shunted me around as they were unable to cope at the hospital due to Nora virus and beds shortage. Treatment was not immediate.

They found through bloods Testosterone, Thyroid and Hormone deficiencies.

At that time I had several collapses and was in CCU for a spell and not very well. They have stablised me on a variety of drugs. Hydo Cortizone they say being the most important.

I was shunted beds 9 times in the stay which did not help and I'm still waiting to hear about the coat/jacket they lost in the moves.

The hospital was in critical care after I got out. So as you can imagine patients are not getting brilliant care at the moment.

The tests they did came and went while I was feeling not well. The Endo. Crynologist was off and no one else available. Since I finally got to meet her nothings has happened.

I'll ask for test info as I have at last an appointment with a Neuro Consultant on the 23rd April.

Due to problems many years ago I receive B12 injections for Iron deficiency so I assume that covers that need.

I hope the above clears the mud. I really appreciate your input.

I had the MRI and it was after this that the docs thought a growth may have depressed onto/behind the gland and they refered the results again to the RVI Newcastle for a second look at it. Heard nothing since

The needs in going forward I am prepared to fight to defeat though at present the continued double vision is driving me mad and costing me a fortune !!

Kind regards

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi again

Thanks for reply and interest.

When I was shunted to hospital from local docs appointment things were very vague. Double vision and fatigue being the symptoms presented to the hospital. They shunted me around as they were unable to cope at the hospital due to Nora virus and beds shortage. Treatment was not immediate.

They found through bloods Testosterone, Thyroid and Hormone deficiencies.

At that time I had several collapses and was in CCU for a spell and not very well. They have stablised me on a variety of drugs. Hydo Cortizone they say being the most important.

I was shunted beds 9 times in the stay which did not help and I'm still waiting to hear about the coat/jacket they lost in the moves.

The hospital was in critical care after I got out. So as you can imagine patients are not getting brilliant care at the moment.

The tests they did came and went while I was feeling not well. The Endo. Crynologist was off and no one else available. Since I finally got to meet her nothings has happened.

I'll ask for test info as I have at last an appointment with a Neuro Consultant on the 23rd April.

Due to problems many years ago I receive B12 injections for Iron deficiency so I assume that covers that need.

I hope the above clears the mud. I really appreciate your input.

The needs in going forward I am prepared to fight to defeat though at present the continued double vision is driving me mad and costing me a fortune !!

Kind regards

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It sounds like your pituitary gland tumour was depressing the hormone that your adrenal glands normally produce - hence the hydrocortisone.  That could have caused your collapses.

You have had a bad time at a bad time (norovirus - hospital unable to give you sufficient attention).  When we are unfamiliar with illness we do not think of our rights, e.g. getting copies of test results, and asking the right questions.

My husband also has haemochromatosis but a milder gene than mine, then he ended up with Hodgkins Lymphoma.  He was in a black hole of depression for a number of years after until his dr finally thought of Vit B12.  His level was very low.  He has Type A blood and does not absorb Vit B12 even from tablets, even though he is a meat eater.  Once he started on injections each week, on his second one, he came home humming and said hello to the neighbour.  It was like a miracle.  Lack of Vit B12 can cause neurological problems.  So even though he had haemochromatosis his Vit B12 level was too low.  Have your Vit D checked too - Vit D3 forte drops can be another 'miracle' if levels are very low.

Have you googled "growth on thymus gland" yet.  You will find good information - maybe a bit scary but it will give you good questions to ask about your situation.

It is a good that you are seeing a neurologist - I suppose the endocrinologist is waiting for something from the neurologist.  In the meantime, keep researching your conditions so that you are prepared for whatever the results that come and have the questions to ask.

I suppose you are seeing an optomotrist regarding your dbl vision.  I don't know what they can do because of the cause (pit gland).  You probably can't drive because of it, and probably have a lot of problems on the computer too!!!  Press for possible medication to reduce growth, or else it will be another surgery.  Your googling might find something about that.  Also contact your country's Pituitary Gland assoc and talk to them.  They will have valuable information too.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up