Pityriasis Rosea - lasted for years!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea about 10 years ago when I was 17. My doctor at the time assured me it would last around 6 weeks and gave me a steroid cream. It mostly cleared up but since then I have almost always had ONE patch that comes and goes and can appear anywhere on my body. Sometimes there's 2 or 3. Normally on my thigh or tummy..sometimes my face... but it's normally just the one! Here I am (now age 27) with one on my lower back that just appeared last night!

Has anyone else experienced this?? Should I go back to my doctor?

I know I've left it a long time but I wasn't too concerned as my doctor told me that not much can be done about it really.. any advice welcome!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Joanne, can I ask you how they made the diagnosis?  Perhaps it's not pitariasis. Maybe it's eczema or psoriasis as both can last a lifetime. 

• Posted

I suppose you could be right, the doctor had to look online to find out what I had.. but at that time it was definitely PR, it was all over my tummy and back and I had the exact same rash and symptons. and it did go away (mostly after 6 weeks). But perhaps the ongoing symptoms are not PR... I will attach a photo of the one on my back (sorry, not the greatest pic! it's hard to do a back selfie)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.