Planning for bilateral hip replacement in December 2016

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 56 years old. I'm planning to have bilateral hip replacement done in December. I currently have cortisone injections in both hips about every 90 days for arthritis. The injections help but last less and less. I'm nervous about surgery but also excited about feeling better and not needing injections anymore. I'm a NICU nurse and the 12 hour shifts are exhausting. The reason for waiting until December for surgery is to have more sick time built up at work and to have my husband off from work for a while to help. He works in school transportation so Winter break makes it possible to be off a bit. I'm interested in finding out from anyone who has had this surgery anything that would be useful for recovery at home. Any other input regarding your own experience would be appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

ill tell you in a couple weeks - Im in Monday for bi lateral

• Posted

I'll say a prayer for you and your surgery to do great. Best wishes. Keep me posted please
  • Posted

Hi Rita, 

Warm welcome to our hippies forum - you have come to the right place for questions - 

There are some bi-lateral post-op hippies here and I am sure they will be able to answer your questions -

and Coffeeman of course who is about to have one coming Monday .... 

Oh boy, being a NICU nurse doing 12 hours shifts is challenging for any body, and you are dealing with bad hips .... I am so sorry - Is there anyway you can taper off - work less hours over time?  

Just make sure that your last cortisone shot won't delay date of surgery okay?

(Look at me telling a nurse redface) -

in the meantime you might want to have a look at:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147, scroll down to A Layman's Guide to find website created by our forum member Graham, aka Rocketman - for valuable tips ....

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee

I'll definitely check out the link you mentioned. Fortunately my surgery schedule is almost exactly when I would be able to get my injections again. One more thing to be excited about is only 2 more sets of injections EVER! The ortho that I see is awesome but I will be happy to give up seeing him every 3 months. ☺

• Posted

Hi Rita, welcome

I am fairly new here and also going to have bilateral hip replacements, got my date today, early June which is a relief.

sounds really tough doing 12 hour shifts, is there any way you could do some shorter days?  I know that's probably not going to work but would be better than being off sick.  I am a nurse as well but work office hours but even this I find a struggle.

I will be following coffeemans progress (all the best for Monday) closely as I would welcome any more tips and ideas. 

I hope you will find this forum helpful, they are lovely kind people on here with good advice. You will definately need support when you get home, from what I have found out it can take a few weeks to get up and going properly.

Are you in the Uk?

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Liz

• Posted

Thanks, Liz

I'll look forward to hearing how you are doing. I'm in the US in Tennessee. Unfortunately the NICU only offers 12 hour shifts. I love my job and love the babies, and at least my patients are small but sometimes I feel about 100 years old at the end of the night. I will have the option of semi retirement in 2 1/2 years. I just keep going for now. My house isn't as clean as it once was and don't really do much besides work. I'm hoping that will change with surgery even though I know it will take a bit. We did have our bath tub changed to a walk-in shower this last week. It makes life and little easier now and I think will help after. Hearing others who are dealing with this too makes me feel connected. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Rita,

I've been lurking for a few days since I found out I need bilateral hip replacement.  Not sure yet when it will be scheduled but definitely this year.  I can only imagine how much pain you must be in as a NICU nurse!  I have a desk job and can only stand for a few minutes at a time.  

I'll be following you and the other bilateral hippies for more info as I prepare myself and my home.  I'm so glad I found this sight as I'm sure it will be invaluable!

Best of luck to Coffeeman on Monday!!

TDubb

• Posted

Thanks for that - very apprehensive never been under the knife before
    • Posted

Was my first major op too, but it was all quite uneventful in the end - sort of an anti-climax 😃
    • Posted

Got everything crossed - apart from legs - for an uneventful anti-climax!!!
    • Posted

Hi TDubb65

I had only found 1 blog from someone who had a bilateral hip replacement and lots of confusing medical information in my earlier searches. I am so excited to find lots of real people going through similar experiences. The info should be helpful but the support is awesome. My friends and family try to be supportive but it's not the same. I hope you can schedule your surgery soon. I'll be following you and all the hippies in their progress.

• Posted

Thank you Rita!  I've just been reading about the differences between posterior and anterior procedures.  Pretty sure I'll be having the anterior method but hubby and I will be meeting with my doctor next week, so I'll know more after that. 

See you round the boards smile

• Posted

Just saw your post again. Read it at work and couldn't respond there. How are things going? Have you had your surgery yet? If so how are you doing? Best wishes with surgery and recovery. See you here among the hippies.😊

• Posted

My advice to you is to get yourself as strong and fit as you possibly can beforehand. Also just had bilateral done it's a big thing.
    • Posted

Hi Annie.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to work on that since I have the extra time between now and then. When did you have yours? Best wishes on recovery

• Posted

14th March. I can walk without crutches for bits, but with a limp on the right. Left hip was perfect, but for some reason the right side muscles have gone into spasm and causing my leg to be shorter than the other. Would give my eye teeth to be rid of this spasm, I tell you. I still wouldn't be able to walk far without crutches, mind you. I'm 6 weeks out.
    • Posted

Annie, Annie, Annie ----

You are doing great darling - 6 weeks post-op from bilateral hip surgery??? are you kidding me ? 

I was told(advised) to use rollator for 6 weeks inside and outside so I would not go back to pre-op limping ( this was post-op 2nd THR) - 

Annie, tender, loving care and please be gentle with yourself - allow your body to heal at her own speed ---

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Please be kind to yourself. I obviously don't have any experience in the surgery yet but I have lots of experience in beating myself up for not being where I think I should be physically. I hope you feel much better soon
    • Posted

I am inclined to be tough on myself physically ... I'm so used to being strong and healthy. But I promise I won't do anything silly. As a matter of fact, the right hip has less pain this morning than it's had for a while - other than for the LLD of course; that, and the cause for it, has not gone away

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.