Plate and screw removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I'm 25 years old I had broken my left ankle well almost crushed it. And the Frontier of my tibula bone. I have a plate on the left side of my ankle and screw on the opposite side it's been almost three to four years. The pain it has caused is unbearable I work simply because I don't want to sit back and depend on the government. The doctor told me I may never have it removed. It has prevented me from doing a lot of things but work isn't one of em. I work and come home in pain hardly being able to walk when I get off. I don't kno who I should see because the ortho who did my surgery won't see me cuz I didn't have insurance when it happened I now have insurance and I'm not sure of what to do and who to see. I don't want this to hold me back I jus wish I had a regular life. Help I need advice I'm graduating from college and can't let this keep me from a career although I know it's not gonna be easy but if there is something I can do about it it would help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

Sorry to hear what happened to you! I also have a broken left ankle with a plate on the left and some screws on the right. It is very recent, I am less than a week post-op and have no idea how it would go...I also don't have any description of the fracture and the surgery from the hospital, will ask the doctor on the follow-up app. in 10 days. I am in Canada, where are you? Hard to give an advice, I am so new to all this, but if I was you I would keep trying with different doctors until finding the one who can help... You sounds like a strong person, graduating from college and dealing with the pain you described is remarkable ! Wish you good luck

• Posted

Yes it's jus the plate that bothers me and the screw rarely I have two screws bout poking through my skin that you can almost see but most definitely feel idk I hope I have an appointment to see an DPM podiatrist to see about my ankle and foot but if he refers me to a surgeon I will most definitely take that route but thank you very much that means a lot
  • Posted

Hi Ashley- Sorry to hear all this. Do you think the hardware is causing all your issues?  If so, I'm curious what makes you think it is the hardware, because i have been wondering if I should eventually get it taken out.  Maybe your surgeon will see you now that you have insurance or you can find another surgeon? I read somewhere that scar tissue may build up, over the hardware, after years with it in, but I would assume it can still be taken out. Wishing you well. 
    • Posted

Yes it's jus the plate that bothers me and the screw rarely I have two screws bout poking through my skin that you can almost see but most definitely feel idk I hope I have an appointment to see an DPM podiatrist to see about my ankle and foot but if he refers me to a surgeon I will most definitely take that route

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.