PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I am a 23 year old male with Spastic cerebral palsy, never smoked a cigarette in my life, did any sort of drugs nor drunk a sip of alcohol. I’m 4ft 11 inches (not very) tall and weigh 50.2 kg with a BMI of 22.3. I do not take any medication.

It all began a couple of months back in May, I started to go for a wee a lot more often than I usually do, first thought that came to mind was UTI but I had read UTIs are less common in men so I waited to if it would pass on its own, stupidly I reduced my fluid intake thinking it’s probably what is causing it. A day or two later the symptoms got worse and I started going for a pee every 15-20mins and also started to feel burning and irritation on the tip of the penis too.

I made an appointment with my local surgery the very same day, the doctor did a dipstick test and found blood (not visible) along with bacteria which confirmed I had a UTI, and she gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics. After finishing the week long course finished I was still experiencing frequency so I went back did urine test which showed no infection just white blood cells, referred me to the urologist who did a renal ultrasound as well as a cystoscopy both clear.

I now only go to the toilet 3-5 times a day but I still have urgency which comes and goes, some days am normal some days I have a lot of pressure on my bladder, I have never had visiable blood. I really don’t know whether to ignore these sudden urges or go see my GP again

Could it be bladder cancer? please help I just want my bladder to go back to normal again!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think bladder cancer is highly unlikely based on your history.  Your extended UTI most likely left you with an irritated bladder that is still healing from the infection.  There are some drugs that can be given to help calm down the bladder, and most have a dye that will coat the bladder and turn your urine one color or another.  

I would avoid stimulants like tea or coffee or carbonated drinks (which we call sodas, soft drinks, pop, coke, etc.here in the states.)  Also, spicy foods that tend to irritate the bladder.  Be patient, but don't worry about cancer as the cystoscopy should have spotted that.  

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Glenn, i only drink one cup of tea a day (maybe two once a month) and as far as sodas go, I only drink them once a week. The rest is only water. I drink around 1.3-1.5 liters of fluid a day.

After the cystoscopy the uroglogist did mention bladder muscle relaxers, but he mentioned side effects such as constipation which is something I am very wary of because of disability I do suffer from constipation which is no fun.

If it was something as serious as cancer i believe I would've seen some visible blood by now, right?

• Posted

Bladder muscle relaxants can be constipating, but you can take a stool softner and some extra fiber to help keep things moving.   In your case, I think you are just dealing with the effects of a bladder healing after having an extended UTI.   The white cells you mentioned are from that process.

Please stop worrying about bladder cancer.  It's mostly a disease of aging, with 90% of new cases being in people over 55 years of age. The average age of it being diagnoised is 73, and there are a lot of people who don't treat their bladder kindly and have a good explanation for their bladder cancer..   With your clean living, consuming no alcohol and little caffine, you've been kind to your bladder... except for neglecting the UTI for too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.