Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

II have a cold and my left ear since a few hours ago keeps popping when i swallow or move my jaw. I have flonase. I used it. Im only one day in of  if this cold. I have had colds before this but this is maddening. Its the eustatian  tube but its giving me anxiety big time, its annoying. I have tinnitus every since 2007.  I cant use steroids, except the eye doc said ok for the flonase only. I cant use decongestants either. They are watching my inner angles of my eye and i have ootic nerve pallow in the right eye. The optic nerve pallor was from some virus years ago.and you have to be very careful what medicine you use. This needs to stop. Its going to drive me mad. Please anyone respond and tell me this will go away very soon. I know i have a week to go on the cold. Wow this has just never happened before.not more then a few minutes anyway. 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry.  Same thing happened to me.  I had a sinus infection.  I blew a bunch of green out my right nostril and had sore throat.  Three days later I was eating some pizza and noticed the popping in my ear and my voice was hoarse.  Constant popping, crunching everytime I open my mouth wide enough and also temporary autophoney here and there.  It has been two weeks and no improvement.  It's messing me up also.  I've read that it can be real fast or take some time for it to go away.  I had ear pressure but that is gone.  That is at least some improvement but the popping and random autophoney on certain words is still there.  I hate it.  We gotta just hang in there and ride it out and believe that it will go away.  Hang in there.  Oh, I also use NeilMeds Saline Rinse a couple times a day and I always get immediate relief from that.  Takes away all symptoms but only lasts for a little while.

• Posted

Hello Lisa, sadly eustachian dysfunction blockage is usually part of catching colds.  Potentially this could take weeks and weeks to clear.  A friend of mine is suffering the same problem with a cold.  The mucus from the cold is thick and unable to drain properly.  I suffer sinus issues daily and post nasal drips seems somehow to get stuck in my eustachian tube.  I have suffered this problem since the early 1980's.  A horrible complaint.  However, if yours is only due to a cold it will clear.  Keep using the Flixonase spray, or drops, whichever one was prescribed for you and drink loads of water to thin the mucus to allow drainage.  If it goes on too long you could ask your doctor about the balloon procedure that will open eustachian tube so mucus will drain.  I know how horrible you are feeling.  If you get an earache maybe you'll need antibiotics, I find they always help me.

• Posted

I recently had a sinus infection, blew a bunch of green out my right nostril and had a sore throat.  A few days after that I started hearing popping in my ear every time I chewed or opened my mouth wide enough.  Also, if I activate the popping in my ear while talking I exhibit the autophony symtom but only remains there if I try to meaning, leaving my ears in the popped position.  Because I have popping in my ear, does this mean I only have the regular ETD or is it possible I have PED because of the autophony when mouth is opened wide enough to activate autophony.  Is it possible to have autophony with regular ETD?  Again, the autophony only appears when I make it appear by talking loud enough with a popped position ear drum.  I'm going to see an ENT next week and I'm hoping he treats me seriously and not just rush me to get out.  I saw him once before, maybe a year ago about a sinus infection and he just rushed me in and out.  I will demand he observes me completely so I know what is wrong with me if he doesn't give me his full time and attention.

• Posted

Morning,  Do you mean euphony ?  I've never heard of autophony.....what does that mean ?  Sinus infections can certainly mess up the eustachian tubes.  They become blocked with mucus and are unable to drain.  I've experienced this problem for many years and there just doesn't seem to be an answer to rectify it.  If you've had a cold then that's probably the reason why you're experiencing this problem.  You should speak to your ENT consultant and write everything down so you don't forget to ask him what's bothering you.  I'm extemely lucky over here in England.  We have what's know at a National Health Service and everything is free.  Of course over the years we've all paid into our National Health Service which comes out of our salaries at source.  When I'm particularly worried about my ear problem I pay and go private, which gives me a lot of time to explain.  I've received three microsuctions this year, to get all the fluid out from the inner ear via a perforation.  You may need a course of anitibitics to clear it up quickly.

Hope this helps a little.

Anne

• Posted

Its the constant popping sound. Oh my Lord. Thats part of it! 
    • Posted

didnt mean for that exclamation point. Meant to out a .
    • Posted

Yes, that's part of the problem all the crackling noise....it's sounds as though it's trying to clear.  Don't make a habit of this, but try piching your nostrils together hard, so no air is released and gently blow....sometimes equalising the air pushes open the eustachian tubes.  Feels wonderful when that happens.  I do it quite often and when they pop open I sigh with relief !!  Good luck and let me know when it clears.

• Posted

Dr said not to until fluid goes away. But i know what your are talking about. Thank you for amswering me.
  • Posted

I hate all this. And sometimes the whole thing just clogs all at once and you feel like your in an airplane. So horrible. I will be so grateful when this passes! Then i can play with popping them open and such.This congestion mess, popping mess makes me miserable and too anxious.  
    • Posted

Hi again Lisa,  I know exactly how you are feeling.  It drags me down too.  See your ENT consultant and hopefull he will prescribe some antibiotics that will definitely help.  Have you read my long message to other woman who are suffering the same problem. ?
  • Posted

What is wrong  with your eyes Lisa ? I've  been using Flixonase Nasules for months.  I see my optician every year to check  my eyes.  Are you on face book ?  if so friend me on there and I will speak to you privately about your ears.  Find  me under Anne Westover

• Posted

Really hope I'm not jinxing it bjt j just have been saying my prayers and I finally had one day free of popping. So grateful. Praying that it stays. Don't lose hope guys. Time will take care of it. Just gotta ride it out. I also noticed that yes decongestants may have helped temporarily but I didn't use them today and today was my first normal day so....

• Posted

Hi Lisa, so glad you've got a little relief from all that awful popping.  Maybe you'll be lucky and it will all drain away soon.  I'm having a couple of good days too at the moment, my left ear is nice and clear of fluid.  I'm sure that drinking loads of water thins the mucus to allo it to drain.  I wish there was a magical answer to Glue Ear as so many seem to suffer from it.  I thought it was a childs problem, but seems many adults are suffering too.

• Posted

The relief came because i had a cingestiin a cold. But my ears just ooened and now i hear the double popping when i swallow. Oh my Lord this needs to just stop. Im hooing as some more time oasses it calm down.
    • Posted

I understand.  It's really disturbing when something is going on in the head.  My popping has gotten better but is not completely gone.  It comes and goes.  At least it is not stop.  One thing that has me a little sketched is that from time to time I have autophony, meaning I hear my voice in my ear way loud and sometimes my breath.  That is called Patulous Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  I really hope that particular symptom is just temporary as well because from what I read that Patulous deal is not temporary.  It is not non stop and seems to only go loud in my ear on certain words that sound like "want, yawn, myyy..."  Basically my mouth opens a little more than normal for those kind of words and it makes my ear open up I guess and than it causes that echoey thing in my right ear.  Very annoying but at least the popping is chilling out a little.  I go see an ENT tomorrow and I hope he doesn't just blow me off.  I want him to do a full examination and find out what is wrong with me.  I saw him once before about a sinus infection and he was so rushy with me.  He better not do that this time.  I will not leave that office until he shoves a scope up my nose and ears and find out what the deal is.  But ya, on this particular thing we are dealing with, I think it is just eating healthy, get rest and being patient and time will hopefully take care of the rest.  That is what I think will take care of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.