Please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had been attending the physio from January till July with shoulder impingement. I also had a cortisone injection, which didn't help, and an X-ray. Unfortunately I fell in at the end of July and my physio said that he thought that I had done some damage. I was referred to the hospital where they diagnosed a frozen shoulder along with shoulder impingement. They said it could take 1/2 years to get better and if it doesn't then I may need surgery. It is getting worse to the point where I struggle to get dressed or put my hair up etc. Can someone tell me if they have ever tried a shoulder strap or anything else that can ease this or make me more mobile?

aabb

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I went for surgery after 4 years of frozen shoulder
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. 4 years seem a long time to have all that pain and discomfort. Has the surgery worked?

aabb

• Posted

I am now 16 months post surgery. Unfortunately the Fibro and DWP delayed it plus someone giving me and my 12 year old whiplash last week. This evening I had ultrasound treatment which seems to have helped and  stretch tapes all arranged through the AA insurance.
    • Posted

I hope you feel better soon. Did you say you had fibromyalgia also? Living with this is hard enough without having other health issues. I also have osteopenia which is something I worry about.

aabb

• Posted

Hi AABB,

I am booked for surgery on the 15th Dec for impingement I also had a frozen shoulder, PT had one go and pushed right on the capsule and I had a lot more movenment back within hours, but if you have impingement the bone will keep rubbing off the tendon keeping it inflammed, so Im going to have a bit of bone shaved off so the tendon is clear of the bone. Dont really see how a strap could help as with FS its all about keeping the shoulder moving. I have problems with my neck which has more than likely caused all this sh*t with my shoulder, press for surgery, I'll let you know how i get on.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. I worry that my muscles will waste away and leave me with more problems. Plus I have fibromyalgia and that is bad enough. The hospital has left an open appointment for me for a year. If I don't feel better I can contact them. 

Aabb

• Posted

Hi. Frozen shoulder is miserable. I'm in New Zealand, we don't get offered surgery for it here.

Someone recommended taking magnesium tablets, they r a natural muscle relaxant. They really helped my shoulder. After a couple of days it was noticeably better. But they caused an horrendously stiff neck too. Apparently u have to b careful and get a good brand, or they can cause sore neck and headaches. (I did have a good brand, slow release, once a day tablet).

I also see a Physio once a week to release all my strained muscles.

Both of those have helped me so much.

• Posted

Yes I had impringement & the consultant said he couldn't be sure if that was the cause of my fs.........But had surgery 7weeks ago they shaved bone and removed a piece of the bone as well - I refroze & had further mua on the 5th dec so 3days ago & wow what a difference!!! I'm having intensive physio -painful but not like fs pain! Need to continue with physio for a good 3months! This is my 2nd fs & it has followed the same path as the first! After 3months I had all rom and no pain!!! You have to be determind & push on with physio but it is SO worth it!!! Good luck with op on the 15th! I'll be on holiday in Vegas then - with a working painfree arm!!!

• Posted

The hospital told me to forget the exercises the physio gave me cause they won't make any difference. To be honest I was going to a physio from January to July before I feel and it didn't help. 

Aabb

• Posted

Hello aabb. I'm sorry to hear your distress. I'm in year two now and although it has improved it still impinges on my life. I've had two rounds of injections now but still have pain and movement restriction. I use a TENS machine. It definitely helps. They are so small that no one even notices it. Please try one. It will help. Keep strong. X

• Posted

Hi, Would not recommend the shoulder strap as it is all about keeping the shoulder moving. Gentle exercises everyday. I had 3 years with my right shoulder which included injection, MUA, and arthroscopic capsula release. I an now having probs with left shoulder and have gone straight for Extremity Joint injections being done today. There is no way I am going to endure 3 years of pain again, so I am going for everything right fromt the start.  Guided injections today under local  this PM. Luckily for me I have private cover as the NHS have different outlook to the treatment to private cover. Yes I am stuggling getting dressed doing hair even chopping vegetables and struggling to put the handbrake on when driving. If physio is not working I would look for the next option for you. I lost my job because my first shoulder got so bad I could not lift it to type. Only you know the amount of pain you have, and no one should suffer. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.