please help asap

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, i need some advice, my girlfriend has been suffering with ear pain for over a week which made it painful to lie on her sideafter looking online we tried putting warm oil in which releived it for a little while so we went to the doctors and he perscribed sodium bicarbonate ear drops and told her to make an appointment for a syringing. but the medicicne has only made things worse, she has lost her hearing in that ear and is not in constant and a lot worse pain. i have tried to help with a few things suggested online but they havent helped. if anyone has any ideas that can helpwe would be greatful as its going to be a while before she can get an appointment anyway. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan,

Can I ask where you are from? Only because Ear Syringing has been religated to the last possible option to take by our NHS here on the South Coast England, and the remedy given by your Doctor seems a little backward. A blocked ear is normally not causing constant pain, it sounds like it is more like an irritation or it could be a small infection, (in either case I would say that the drops are doing more harm than good). Does your girlfriend also have a pain goin down the side of her neck starting just behind the Ear Lobe? I would avoid getting the Ear wet for the time being and if you are concerned about a blockage then I would recommend Ear Candles , you can get these don't at Health and Body studio's, or If she is lucky enough to have you about, can buy these online. They remove blockages by creating a gentle Vacuum. There is a chance that irritation or infection could clear up on its own if the Ear is kept dry, but she is more than likely going to need a short course of Meds. Please let me know if there are any more symptoms. Hope she is feeling better, keep on looking after her, Al 

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying, we live in Greater Manchester. She does have the pain going down her neck like you said. But I think the doctor had suggested this as she has had to have the syringing done before. She has sey up an appointment to get it done...I'm not sure this is the best idea because I do think it's something else.

• Posted

This would indicate to me an infection. It's hard when you have any doubt when it comes to the Doctors diagnosis. She ould talk to the person who is going to do the syringing about concerns. I suppose they might be able to see more after, I would calmly suggest painkillers before she goes. When is she due to go?

• Posted

Agree with  pistal.   Sounds like she may need antibiotics for a possible middle ear infection.  doc may have seen wax in her ear which is why he has suggested syringing.    If this pain gets worse try to get an urgent appointment. Are you in UK?
  • Posted

Hi Jan

I had a really bad flu that ended in an inner ear infection.  2 rounds of antibiotics and 2 rounds of penicilin didn't help with the deathness, popping, crackling, pain, etc.

Yesterday I went to the doc and he tested my hearing with a musical tuning fork.  I could barely hear it in my death ear and could mostly hear it with my "good" ear.  Then he put the tuning fork in the centre of my forehead and I could hear it as clear as a bell with my death ear and could barely hear it with my "good" ear.  Within seconds I was swallowing yucky stuff. 

My ears continued to drain for 8 hours with 2 major mouthfuls and 2 very significant dizzy spells.

Today my ears aren't completely better but there is an 80% improvement.

I have ordered a tuning fork and will treat myself next week when it turns up.

I looked for info online about sound waves draining ear fluid but couldn't find anything.

I hope this helps and wish my doc had tried it weeks ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.