Please help i think i may have ceoliac

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi it all started about 12 month ago  i was getting pain in my  upper belly, and strted gettind loose stool that was really smelly, i went to the docs and he gave me lanzoprol, i went back with no change and he gave me omezoprol saying it could be to much acid, 6 months later still on these meds symptoms got worse, i  felt l weak and no energy at all,  feel like just sleeping all the time, everytime i eat i got the pain like just under where my rib cage joins, i started to have bad smelly wind all the time and my stools are like toffe they stick to the toilet and i have to clean it off with brush, and wiping my self takes time, i feel like i want to break wind to relieve pain all the time, when i eat it feels like i need the toilet soon after. My eyes have become dark underneith and im loseing weight even though im forcing my self to eat because my appetite has totally gone. i saw a consultant and was sent for camera down throat, came back all imflamed, sent for colonoscopy last week and all was ok, but symptoms getting worse dont feel like doing nothing anymore, consultant has boooked me in for 2 scans next week, but i was thinking could this be ceoliac disease,  oh yes ive also had loads and loads of blood test since last year, consultant is trying and i love him to bits but its really getting to me, it seems worse when i eat poirridge and bread, i will try a week with gluten free food should i do this , please help

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

When you had a gastroscomy [camera down the throat] did they take a biopsy? My understanding [not medicaly trained] is that this is the only sure way to diagnose coeliac.

I had no energy and was diagnosed with anaemia. Eventually found out that I had coeliac disease. Evidently the bowel can't absorb certain things.

If I were you I would make sure that my consultant has done all the tests and completely ruled out coeliac disease.

It may be that you actually need lansoprasol for a completelty unrelated problem eg hiatus hernia - although the gastroscomy should have been able to diagnose somehting like that. 

You really need to keep banging on doors, and not be fobbed off with a diagosis which doesn't help. I'm sure that doctors with the best of intentions don't really know whats wrong with you and try lots of things until they find something which works 

• Posted

Thankyou for your fast response,  er yes they took them biopsy from throat stomach with one camera   and from large bowls when they did colonoscopy, they all was ok, am i right in thinking that ceoliac affects the small intestines and they didnt check there, like i said i have 2 scans booked in, i think consultant is just ruling  things out, i think hes scanning my pancreas and if thatas ok i guess it has to be ceoliac
    • Posted

It is usual for a gastroscopy examination to include the small intestine in the area just after the stomach.  In my case, it was from the biopsies taken in this area that it was found that I was suffering from coeliac disease.

It can't really comment on your symptoms because I did not really have any myself so the diagnosis came as quite a surprise!  My gastroscopy and colonoscopy tests were carried out because my GP thought I was suffering from internal bleeding - he was right, it was bowel cancer.

• Posted

im really sorry to hear that, and i hope reatment worked and your ok, x
    • Posted

After an op and chemo, I seem to be OK at the moment.  Keeping my fingers crossed for the future.  Thanks for asking and good luck with getting your problems sorted, it is always frustrating when things seem to be going round in circles and getting nowhere.
  • Posted

Sounds like they're doing all they can to find out the cause of your problems. I guess you've just got to hang on in there.

Good luck

• Posted

ye but i dont like losing weight it really depresses me, people looking and judging all i want is to be normal strong and healthy,  no dark eyes and lots of energy sad

• Posted

HI quick update, sechat scan normal. ultrasound normal,  they found that in my stool my pancreas isnt producing enough enzymes to break food down, ive been started on creon,  fingers crossed
    • Posted

I'm pleased to see that you are getting somewhere with your diagnosis and that there seems to be a suitable treatment.  I hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.