Please help me interpret my MRI results and future treatments(such as getting a cast or ankle brace)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I am a 13 year old girl. Yesterday, I received my MRI results of my right ankle but I can't seem to understand it due to the medical terminologies. Would you please help me interpret my MRI results and help for any suggestions for future treatments such as getting a cast on my ankle or getting an ankle brace? Thank you!

Ligaments

Anteroinferior tibiofibular (syndesmotic) ligament is intact. No ligament detachment. The posteroinferior tibifibular ligament is intact. No syndesmotic widening.

Full thickness tear of the anterior talofibular ligament at fibular attachment, with intact overlying extensor retinaculum. Talar attachment is intact. There is periligamentous oedema. No osseous periosteal avulsion. Effusion within the anterolateral gutter without established meniscoid lesion. 

The calcaneofibular ligament is intact. The posterior talofibular ligament is intact. There is oedema involving the intermalleolar ligament without transection.

Impingement oedema of the deep deltoid ligament. No footprint retraction. Superficial deltoid ligament fibres are intact.

The superomedial bundle of calcaneoneavicular (spring) ligament is intact.

Tendons

The extensor, flexor and perineal tendons are intact.

Flexor tendons are intact without longitudinal or retracted tendon tear. Flexor tenosynovitis. 

Insertion of posterior tibialis tendon to navicular is intact without longitudinal split tear or retraction.

Both peroneal tendons run within a concave perineal groove with intact superior perineal retinaculum. No longitudinal perineal split tear or retraction. The tendons run anterior to the perineal tubercle of the calcaneum.

No fixed lateral subluxation of the perineal tendons. Attachment of peroneus brevis to the base of fifth metatarsal is intact.

Insertional Achilles tendinosis with minimal retrocalcaneal burial effusion. There is a Haglund deformity. No retracted Achilles tendon tear.

Bones and cartilage

The ankle mortise is intact. There is no detached osteochondral defect or chondral shear injury arising from the talar dome.

The subtalar joints are congruent. No loose body within the sinus tarsi.

Calcaneocuboid and talonavicular articulations are preserved. No subchondral bone oedema.

Navicular oedema without osseous fragmentation is seen. The talonavicular cartilage layers are still intact. No navicular collapse is present. This finding should be followed up on suspicion of Kohler osteonecrosis in this age group.

3 x 4mm os trigonum without intraosseous oedema. There is minimal posterior ankle effusion and synovitis. This can be correlated for posterior impingement.

No MRI evidence for talar osteonecrosis.

Sustentalculum talus is intact. No tarsal coalition.

Soft tissues

The tarsal tunnel and muscles around the ankle are normal. No muscle oedema pattern to indicate established inferior calcanea neuropathy.

No nodular thickening nor rupture of the plantar fascia.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi bk3153

Everything seems fine except for Navicular Oedema which is going to be followed up...Oedema is fuid retention and swelling.....google Navicular Oedema....best wishes....

• Posted

First of all, I am impressed by your typing ability!

Generally, you have a ligament tear, edema, some fluid, an impinged ligament...

You MIGHT have childhood onset of osteo(bone)necrosis(death) also termed a(no)vascular(blood supply) necrosis(death) of the navicular bone.

The navicular bone is located about where your arch is.

Bones are living things nourished by blood. If we remove the blood supply to a bone, that bone dies because it starves. As the bone dies, it causes pain and swelling because the nerves and the tendons and soft tissues around the dying bone are still alive.

My subtalus bone of the ankle died many decades ago. The orthopedic podiatrist surgically fused that joint to stop the pain and swelling...the surgery was a roaring success, still is.

The Haglund deformity just means you have an enlargement of your heel bone where the Achilles tendon attaches...this area is inflammed. Many people have a Haglund's deformity so this is nothing to be concerned about.

Only your physician can determine how your ankle will be treated.

For pain and swelling I suggest gel packs available on Amazon or from a pharmacy or medical supply. Gel packs may be frozen, they do not leak, the are flat so no pointy ice cubes sticking you, and they hold their freezr longer. Perhaps four mediums...two around your foot/ankle and two in the freezer.

And elevate your ankle above your heart, so about shoulder height. This allows your body to push the excess fluid back towards the heart.

You can also reduce swelling and thereby reduce pain if you wear a compression stocking to your knee. Best to put this on before you put your legd over the side of the bed in the morning.

I hope it goes well when you meet with your physician.

hugs

judith

• Posted

I was able to purchase two ice packs from CVS for my back that work great. I like them because they do not freeze hard, so they are readily formed around body parts such as an ankle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.