Please help me with my meds for severe ear infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone, 

I went to my doctors last Wednesday and was told i have a severe ear infection, this is causing hearing loss in my right ear, pain upto my cheek, pain down my neck, its VERY tender to touch, in fact i cant touch it. The GP gave me maxicillian? Antibotics but no pain relief. Nearly a week on and the antibotics do not seem to have touched it, but the PAIN is unbearable! it constantly throbs with pain, i cant explain it, i also get sharp shooting pains through my ear canel and down my neck. I am having many sleepless nights because of this dreadful pain! it is also weeping GREEN goo. 

I attended the urgent care centre (walk in centre) and they told me they couldnt do anything until i finshed my course of antibiotics but advisedme to take Ibruprefen and co codimol (together) along with my maxicillian. I know this is what the doctor has advised but taking so many drugs scare me a little. The doctor there aso didnt tell me how many to take and what mg. I have in the house 400g inbrufen tables and 8/500g co codimol - are these two ok to take together or is it too much? is it safe? 

im so scared that my ear is going to burst, i am in ears with the pain and i just do not know what to do with myself sad

Also, does anyone know if i am on the wrong antibiotics? somoene told me maxicillian is very low?

Thank you so much - from a very worried patient. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi amy have drs suggested any type of antibiotic drops as oppose to oral... 2 times ibuprofen 200mg is ok with cocodamol or 1 times 400mg ibuprofen as cocodamol is quite strong... ibuprofen mainly deals with taking down the inflammation... my advice would be try taking 1 cocodamol at 6 hourly intervals but only for 3 days as any longer not recommended n then take 1 ibuprofen 200mg half way thru that 6 hour gap... eg cocodamol at 8am followed by ibuprofen 3 hours later followed by cocodamol 3 hours later n so on... i would only start with 1 200mg ibuprofen n 1 cocodamol for first 24 hours to allow u to get it in ur system gently as cocodamol can cause dizziness n extreme fatigue etc.... if that makes little or no difference then try 2 cocodamol n 1 400mg of ibuprofen but NEVER take more than 8 cocodamol in 24 hours and NEVER more than 8(200mg) ibuprofen or 4(400mg) in 24 hours... also try lying on side with a hot water bottle wrapped in blanket under ear(u may want to put old towel under ear when doing this as it can cause gunge to leak out)... if theres anything else u need help with u can always email me or ask here n i will try help.. hope u feel better soon..
    • Posted

Hi Ayesha

Thank you taking the time to reply to me, that is very helpful.

The doctors have not yet prescribed drops. They have finally just called me back and suggested an emergency appointment today as it's been 5 days on the antibiotics and they're concerned that it should have gone down by now. Hopefully they will give me stronger antibiotics and stronger pain relief

Thank you again

• Posted

No problem... i have suffered over 25 years with ear issues n have just been referred for a second mastoidectomy op... as diane says erythromycin is antibiotic i would have expected them to use... at appt maybe u could ask them about the drops by nme of ciloxan these are strong antibiotic eye drops that are used for ears(strange i know) n are only ones which seem to penetrate deep rooted infections(my ear consultant prescribed them for me)...
  • Posted

are you absolutely sure it is an ear infection? Analgesia take 4 hourly 400 ibrufen anti inflamatory Cocodamol 500mg 4hourly should be fine. I take effevervescent fizz in water as it's easier on the gut..Could be Trigeminal Neuralgia which can affect the face and nerves inducing severe constant pain...
  • Posted

ice packs too periodically will help with swelling if it is Otitis media.. Inner ear infection. I have had mumps as a child is very painful hope it starts to feel better soon.. Don't stop the antibiotic when it starts to improve.. If it does not you may need a broader spectrum antibiotic like Eyrythromycin.
  • Posted

I took an over the counter nose drops to get rid of the pressure. Later my Doctor perscribed another nose drop for the pressure. I used cloth and soaked it in vinegar.. and laid it on the tender areas and it took most the swelling away and was a great comfort. 
    • Posted

Go easy on the nose drops it dries the Mucous membrain(lining of the nose).
  • Posted

Hi everyone.thank you taking the time to reply to me

I've just got back from the doctors .... To get a third opinion (3rd lucky and all that). He said I've got a 'bug' not an infection which is what the results of the swop come back from the labs. He called it something but i can't recall now. He said that all my inner ear and outer ear is swollen and the green goo is the result of the parasite. He's given me different antibiotics which is a course of another 7 days but he's confident that this will sort it. No extra pain killers though unfortunately, but he did tell me to take 400g of ibruphin and 2x 8/500 co codimal all in one go, I clarified several times that a) it was safe to take them all in one go and b) that he was sure I should take them in one go without any gaps- he confirmed several times that it's fine - so I guess I'm happy with that.

Fingers crossed it clears up! He said that if I don't see any difference in 48hrs then I've got to go back and see him again.

Thank you again everybody x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.