PLEASE HELP!!My 70yr old mum is losing her mind from Pulsatile Tinnitus.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my 70 year old mum has been suffering from a heartbeat sound and high pitch frequency in both ears for 6 months.She already suffers from Hyperthyroidism, depression and anxiety.This constant noise in both of her ears is torturing her mentally and emotionally.I feel absolutely helpless,and find it hard to watch her suffer.

She had her hearing tested and they ensured her that hearing aids would lessen the noise by 70%.Well that hasn`t been successful either.She has had her hearing aids for 3 days and there`s very minimal improvement.Also one of the hearing aids is faulty and making a hissing sound which I can hear myself.She`s also had a angiogram to rule out anything nasty. Can anyone offer some advice on how to decrease the noise.are there any other tests she can have?I`d really appreciate any help or advice.Thanks

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Saddened to read about you Mum's problems.

I'm not a medically qualified person but one who has suffered tinnits for many years.

You say ".She already suffers from Hyperthyroidism, depression and anxiety" all three of which s symptoms of or associated with Vitamin B12 Deficiency as too is tinnitus.  

Given her age (and I'm 75) that may well contribute to a deficiency for as we get older so our ability to absorb the B12 decreases and it can only be obtained naturally by eating red meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy produce.

Was your Mum given nitrous oxide when she had her angiogram as this can deplete B12 and also doe she have any "tummy troubles" necessitating taking proton pump inhibitors, antacids etc?

I would respectfully suggest your Mum asks her doctor to do serum B12 and serum Folate tests to at least eliminate these as a cause of the tinnitus.

I wish you both well.

• Posted

Hi Clive, thank-you so much for your reply.I`m so sorry you have to deal with this too.75 is young these days,mum looks and acts very youthful.Mum is deficent in the B group you`re right.She has a terrible diet bless her.We`re originally from UK,we`ve lived in OZ for over 30 years.I say this because mum still manages to find all the English goodies to eat .Whilst Bakewells are yummy they lack vitamins.

?She`d rather eat a bacon roll than meat and vedgies.I have tried everything to help her but it seems to be getting worse.She still smokes,which is making it worse.I`m exhausted from telling her to quit.

?It`s making the blood vessels contract which in turn makes the pulsing sound worse.Our local GP refuses to help mum with anymore tests.

?She told mum she just has to "live with it" there`s nothing she can do.We are currently changing to a new GP.She has also tried a tablet to reduce the noise but that made it worse.Maybe her blood presure meds have side effects?The hearing aids didn`t improve it at all.She says it`s there 24 hours a day.I have ringing tinnitus and that`s bad enough.I just pray there`s a solution soon for mum and yourself.

Take care.

• Posted

The reason I wrote "hinting" at B12 Deficiency is that I've had Pernicious Anaemia for 45 years and have to have injectioins of B12 every month for the rest of my life and I've noticed that in the run up to my next injection I get a return of some of the symptoms including tinnitus.

Regardless of whether or not it will have any effect on your Mum's tinnitus it might be as well to ask her GP to have her levels of B12 and Folate checked.

Apparently upwards of 40% of Americans are B12 deficient (which causes damage to the nervous system) and they aren't even aware of it.

• Posted

That`s a great help,I will make sure mum gets those tests done.I feel we are all deficient in vitamins and minerals these days due to diet and lifestyle.It plays havoc on our nervous systems like you mentioned with B12.
  • Posted

Pulsatile tinnitus.  This is a specific form of tinnitus.  I assume that the ENT doctors have looked into the ear to make sure that there is nothing pulsatile behind the eardrum.

Are there other symptoms?  Does she hear her voice or other sounds twice?  Does she become dizzy/vertigo when doing a No.2 in the toilet (straining)?  Can you attach the audiogram here so that I can see the picture?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hi Doctor, thank-you very much for your advice and help.Our local GP refuses for mum to see an ENT doctor. We are currently changing GP`S. There is a minor focal mucosal thickening anteriorly in the left maxillary antrum. Everything else looked normal. Conclusion- No cause of pulsatile tinnitus has been identified.She said that she does feel dizzy on the toilet.Thank-you
    • Posted

Your mum will need to have a CT scan of her temporal bone, thin slices, to rule out superior semicircular canal dehiscence.  This is one cause of pulsatile tinnitus, especially in the elderly.  It also goes with the dizziness on the toilet.  You can show your next doctor this message if you wish.

• Posted

Thank-you for your advice and help.I changed mum`s doctor.Mum is booked in for an mri next week.She`s also on a waiting list to see an ent doctor.She`s had an angiogram ct is that what you`re reffering too?
    • Posted

Yes. What did the CT report say?

• Posted

There are things on youtube which are supposed to help if you can listen for at least an hour daily. I find it really helps for sleeping as that's when my tinnitus is worse. Checking "healing tinnitus".

Does she clench her jaw? It may be related to tmj. I've just bought a mouth guard for nightime. Alot of research says it can help.

• Posted

Hi Mary, yes mum does have a problem with her jaw.Her dentist advised getting a mouth guard quite a few years ago now.It`s worth a try, thank-you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.