PLEASE How to manage weight on pregabalin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i'm already struggling with binge eating and being overweight.

started pregabalin a few days ago. i've been warned about weight gain.

ANYTHING I CAN DO!? PLEASE

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I have been on Pregabalin for just over a year and when I started taking it I did pile the weight on. I put on nearly 3st and that was a huge increase as I have never gone over 10st before. My waist went up 3inches too. It really affected me but didn't last too long, I did lose most of the weight but not all of the inches. If you can, try to be active. I know I wasn't that active when I first started taking it and I didnt do too much afterwards. Possibly it was just while the drug settled in with me and my body corrected itself. I hope you cope ok on the pregabalin. How are the headaches?
    • Posted

thanks so much for you're reply. literally DREADING this! i'm currently taking the starter dose (75mg 2x/day) for my anxiety but i've been told it's going to increase gradually. Was it the same for you? do you remember how long it lasted, did the weight pile on until you were settled on a final dose? 

i think the headaches are yet to come for me! only been taking for a few days however yesturday when i was shopping i did have a killer headache but i'm putting it down to my anxiety for now.. are they constant? do they stop eventually too?

are you happy with Pregabalin overall? thanks again smile

• Posted

I wouldn't worry about it until it happens. The side effects listed in the paperwork are a warning about what might happen, but it's possible that the weight gain won't happen to you.

I started on 1 x 75mg a day and increased by 75mg every 2 weeks upto 300mg twice a day. I take it for neuropathy so increased to the maximum dose to help with the pain. It did work in one way by decreasing the pain but it replaced it with numbness which is as bad as the original pain but I could sleep and that was what I needed. I think the headaches started pretty much as soon as I started taking it. They are terrible but I could sleep. I have tried a few other things that didin't work and I'm now being weaned off the pregabalin and starting on amitriptyline which isn't kicking in yet but I have to give it a try. If I had a choice I wouldn't have taken the pregablin but I think I may have to go back onto it. The side effects on it are better then not being on it for me, so I have to suffer

• Posted

easier said than done haha i'm probably just over thinking and worrying too much because of the anxiety. fingers crossed 

oh no i'm really sorry to hear it didn't work out too well for you. hopefully amitriptyline will kick in and do the trick. fingers crossed! i really hope you find something that makes the pain go completely for you. best of luck!

and thanks again smile

• Posted

When you get a new medicine I would read the leaflet then put it to the back of your mind. It's pointless worrying about what might happen rather then the good they can do for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.