PLEVA / Pityriasis please help my teenager is covered!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with Pityriasis also known as PLEVA...or so the paper I left the dr office w said. They did a biopsy so now we are doing steroid cream treatment and antibiotics. It has been 2 mo the since we noticed the first "bump" and 3 weeks since diagnosis.

I'm just wondering how long this has lasted on others and what others treatments were in getting rid of this condition?

Please help my son look like he's been burned in hundreds of places all over his body.

I'm grateful for his great attitude toward this hiccup in his teenage life. He has such a great outlook.

But mama is still worried for his physical and mental well being.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lani,

​I have mainly P Vericolor, but seem to have a combination of the two, the steroid cream and antibiotics did not seem to work very well on me  and the lesions kept coming back, it seems the more I perspire in the hot humid rainy weather the worse it gets, so keeping cool and wearing cotton fabrics seem to help a bit. I have been using Niz Shampoo and Candizole cream as well, on some it works well and on others it seems to re-occur after a short respite. For my condition I see that it is an ongoing effort to keep it under control. 5 days of shampoo and leaving on to dry for 5-10 minutes before washing off and then a weekly shampoo after that. If I find it gets worse again I do the 5 days again. I can only comment on my situation, hope it helps your son.

M

• Posted

This is a rather late reply but I was diagnosed with PLEVA 7 years ago at the age of 57.  Since it's an autoimmune disease it's really difficult to contain.  I've tried light therapy, medications, creams, etc.

I can truly sympathize about your son's condition, and possibly, since he has it at a young age, there's hope that it will gradually burn itself out.

The dermatologist has me on Dapsone and also I have Zinc bandages (zip-zoc) which seem to help.  The lesions mostly appear on the legs, arms and trunk area but luckily not on the face.

If you live in a hot climate the SUN seems to help a bit and dry the lesions - additionally Dermovate cream is better than Protopic in my opinion.

Hope these tips help.

We take our skin for granted until something like this happens and I get weary of covering up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.