Pls help! Those who did external hemorrhoid surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

have 3 external lumps on anus, doctor to say either live with it or operation.

However i have been hearing horror stories. Even doctor said that it will be an "open wound" which will be painful and also there might be scars from the healing of the. Wound!

Anyway did such operation and how does it look post operation?? Why wouldnt it look just like "normal" after?

Thank you!!!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gina, I had 3 piles externally and skin tags , I had op 7th July and I can't lie it was horrific but now it's all over I'm glad , yes there is scaring but who sees it apart from you , it's better than having all those lumps! The worst pain is the first 2 weeks you think it's never gonna get better but slowly it does , anything that is cut is bound to have scaring , I am glad now cos I would hate to think of having the op when I'm in my 70's

• Posted

Hey thanks for your reply

Im really scared and panic now... How does the scaring looks like post op?? Is it like very loose on the anus outer area? It wont be entire just a "hole"?

• Posted

To be honest I haven't looked yet, but it feels like I've got a new arse lol no lumps!! Just a normal bum hole lol

• Posted

Hi Tracy

Its great to feel a new arse!

Im just really confused now to whether do or not do, esp after the doc saying thats its lots of pain and all.... I hate to have lumps there, it affects most things! Just dont feel great! How long does ur recovery took?

• Posted

I don't want to scare you but I will say that if I could turn back time I never would have had this op. I did have complications, have been in ER twice and spent 9 days in hospital. But there are people on here that say that it was a life changing op for the best. Also remember that many of the people on here have searched this page because they are having issues so there may be an unbalanced number of people with problems on here. The recovery is rough, In my case very rough. I am still bleeding 9 weeks post op when I have a BM and have been told that is normal. The blood isn't the worse the pain from every BM is tough to deal with. There are days when you think you just can't do it. But it does get easier but not nearly as quickly as I was expecting or told.

I do now have more 'loose skin' externally than I had before and was just told this week that it's not likely to go due to my complications.  

Look into the op more, ask your doctor every question you can think of, get a second or third opinion if you need to. Decide if the lumps are uncomfortable, painful, make life harder, if so then maybe the op is the way to go. If they are just there - but not causing an issue I would be tempted to say just live with it. But it's not my decision. I know they don't look great but I now 'look' worse. There are lots of comments on here from people who have had all sorts of experiences so you can see lots of different views. Remember this is a part of the body we use every day. even just walking around is difficult and I have lost weeks of work. 

Now every day I think back to how I was immediately post op and am glad to have moved this far forward. I would recommend you have someone in the house with you for a few days after your op. And that you have no plans to do anything other than relax. Feel free to ask any questions. Research . 

• Posted

Hi SFlor

The operation did not improve your troubles with piles at all?

I hope you are doing fine now. Do you still have pain and all despite the loose skins?

• Posted

The pain is from having a BM - it is painful to have one - and then after I am very sore for a couple of hours. Most days I have to take a pain killer which I hate to take but  I can only be soref or so long before I have to take my mind off it. 

The loose skin is not the main part of my 'opening' it's like having extra large hemorrhoids which were removed and the skin stayed (only I didn't have them before I went in - they got swollen at or after surgery) 

Tracy above sounds like she had a good result. And that seems to be the issue with this  so many people with completely different results. Have you thought about trying all the natural remedies and anything else available first or maybe you have done this.

• Posted

I feel sorry for you sflor, sounds like you have had it really rough !! Just seems extra slow recovery for you , I'm 7 weeks post op now , I still use wet wipes after bm , and it does still hurt a little but I'm 90% there , during recovery I was having 6 to 7 bm a day omg it was horrific , I was eating less than before the op so couldn't understand it , when I went to see surgeon 2 weeks ago he said everything so weak up there and loose so anything there just wants to come out , it's settled down now to 3 times a day but when u gotta go you gotta run there is no holding it back , I guess that it takes time to heal , I've suffered piles for years and years , they would flare up then pain would go for a while , I didn't have pain for a while there but last year I thought I had a thrombosed pile I had it for a few months when in November I had to go to emergency and it was a perianal fistula so had to have op they just cut it open and laid it flat !! Then had colonoscopy in February had 3 internal piles banded then pile op in July so hopefully my arse is nearly fixed lol I will say though piles are painful when they flare up and I would not be able to cope with the pile op when I'm in my seventies or older so I'm glad I've done it now

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Tracy. I totally get you not being able to cope with this when you're 70 statement - and that's another way I can look on this as being positive. I ended up loosing so much blood that I had 3 blood transfusions - and I never would have coped with all my trauma at a later age.  (A lot of my issues were caused by being sent the wrong pre-op info - so I did not 'clean myself out' the day before - So for anyone reading this MAKE SURE you are advised properly on Laxatives or whatever you need to 'empty' your body so you do not need a BM immediately after surgery) 

These pages have almost been a life saver for me - just knowing I'm not alone. And my friends - I honestly could not have got through this without a friend being with me every step of the way. Everyone MUST have at least one person with them at the home when they come out of surgery. I never thought I would share this info with anyone but being so sick changed me - I will discuss this with anyone so they understand what some patients go through. 

Sorry you are having so many BM's - though at least you know everything's working.. It seems all of us have a different issue - I only go once a day but am so anxious before knowing it's coming that it's all I can think about - once it's passed I can be calm for the day. So I guess we all get different results, maybe at a later date I'll be able to look back and say it was all worth it.

I truly thank everyone who has taken the time to write on these pages  and wish everyone a good recovery- 

• Posted

Hi

I did it just over 2 weeks ago. Removed 2 piles, had some stiches but they broke after a few days (which is normal). Open wound started to heal after Day 5. My recovery went super good and I am 100% now after just over 2 weeks. Feel so good now and strongly recommend the surgery. I read a lot of scary experience written only also and was scared to death. It depends on the surgeon and patient's health condition also. My recovery was super smooth and I felt so lucky and couldn't ask for more. Post ope quality of life is different. Feel free to refer to my recent post on my experience and let me know if you are curious about anything. 

• Posted

AnnaBanana . Really pleased for you. it's good to hear from someone who had no issues. I'm at week 9 and just been told that things will not 'look' better'. In other words I now have more loose skin and lumps than I had before I started. But after so much trauma I wouldn't do this op again for anything. 

Your life must feel so much better. I'm happy for you.

• Posted

Hi

That's settled my mind reading that I'm just over a week past surgery now and the stitches broke this morning during a bm exposing wounds which frightened a bit having gone through a week of every bm ending up with me lying on the floor in a fetal position crying uncontrollably.

The very thought of someone having to operate around that area again makes me cringe out loud.

Thankyou you've eased my mind.

• Posted

Hi gina, i dont know weather you have already had your operation yet.

But please let me tell you do not listen to the doctors or consultants about the pain there liers, the pain is horrific so to speak. Im on day 6 from external hems and the pain has been renching from the minute i woke up in recovery. I had to pass some gause they put inside the next day omg the pain ripped through my whole body i was littery screaming my bathroom down along with having the bath filled ready. (My neighbour actually called the police she thought in was being hurt lol) i ended up in ane on pain relief (morphine) to ease the pain.

Well as you can imagen i had a rough few days after about day 4ish the pain started to be bearable BUT then the bm was once again a horror story the burning throbbing contracting pain it left me after. I so wish i never ever had this done now i would happly turn back time and live with my hemmerhoids.

Im currently sitting in a warm bath writing this atm as the burning and throbbing is still apon me after a bm at 7am and the time is now 8.30am i have been in and out off this bath for an hour or so wishig the throbbing would quite frankly do one lol oh i have to laugh or id sit here and cry.

If only we didnt have to have bm after this op i think it wouldnt be so bad i think i speak for everyone who has had this procedure done.

Im praying to god i dont have this pain in 9days time still (christmas day) or my children will be opening there present in the bathroom while im in water 😂

• Posted

@marina60017. I really feel for you, I know exactly how you feel, I went through this for weeks. I too would turn back time if I could. 6 months on and i have another Docs (new doctor) appointment next week - but even if they say they can correct the mess they've made I won't go in. I will live with this forever, I'm worse off than before but nothing would make me go through that experience again. 

I found it easier to have a BM into a Sitz bath - yes a bit messy but at this point - anything to help - and the warm water definately 'got me moving' with a bit of ease. sitting in baths certainly helps.

Make sure you take all the time you need. Christmas in the bathroom could be a new thing! Even though everyone on here said the pain starts to ease - it seems never ending - but it does get better - I strated to think of the days behind me - not how many more days I had to go. I was 8 weeks before I could get around and even then every step was a painful experience. I have got back to 'normal' now. But BM are an issue every day. even with stool softeners and Psyllium, no meat or dairy I still have anxiety every day before I have a BM. I don't think I will ever forget that pain and loosing so much blood. (had to have 3 blood transfusions). Have you tried taking a mild pain killer every day - just to take the edge off? I'm not a big fan of medication at all but found I needed to take a few things to get through this. I hope today is a better day for you. I did buy some new pics for my bathroom wallls coz I was sick of looking at the same things! 

• Posted

Hi sflor. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for replying to my post. The pain has eased so much since having it done but after a bm is still so painful ive eased off with the painkillers i was on today i was on cocodmol every 4 hours and naxproxen along with oramorph i take for my spine as well as numbing cream (that was rubbish) antibotics and lactalose.

Im still currently sitting in warm bath after a bm but not as long as i had been. Its healing nicely now but now im sore like bed sores thank god for the sudocream. Lol.

I feel for everyone who has or is having this done. Merry Christmas and good luck with your appoinment next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.