PMDD / bipolar

Posted , 3 users are following.

I think I have PMDD however I have been having appointments with the mental health team because they wondered if I had bipolar disorder. (I don't) however my monthly mood cycles are severe enough to mimic bipolar type switching. Is this common with severe pms / Pmdd I don't want to look daft when I mention it at my next appointment!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes absolutely PMDD can make your mood swings very severe. So along with causing the usual PMS symptoms cramps, breast tenderness, etc. PMDD causes severe changes/swings in emotional moods. Good luck to you
  • Posted

Hi Sapphire07 - the only way to test for PMDD is to track your symptoms over a two month period (or the equivalent of two menstrual cycles). NAPMDD provides a free symptom tracker here: http://napmdd.org/toolkit/symptom-tracker​.

Women are diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder at three times the rate of men. There is much evidence to suggest that women with PMDD are most commonly misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder. Rapid cycling occurs when a person has four or more episodes of major depression, mania, hypomania, or mixed states, all within a year. A woman with PMDD will experience a minimum of two manic and/or depressive episodes in two months (or the equivalent of two menstrual cycles). The main indicator being whether or not these episodes occur on the days between ovulation and the onset of her period only.​

We have more info posted about PMDD/BPD at http://napmdd.org/about-pmdd/pmdd-bipolar-disorder​. 

• Posted

Thankyou both very much for your replies, very helpful xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.