PMR and plantar faciitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had PMR since October of 2013 and have been on prednisone since that time. I recently developed severe pain in both of my feet and thought that I had bone spurs (but that seemed remote since I had pain in both feet). Someone suggested that I had plantar faciitis and I was wondering if anyone else had this ailment and/or if it has anything to do with PMR or taking prednisone. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jon, I have GCA. Do not have any pain associated with.

The same illness  is different to everyone though.

New symtoms show up. Myself I am noticing a new symptom on my legs and feet. 

When there is no cure the illness will progress.

This is what is happening.

• Posted

Judging by recent posts on various forums plantar fasciitis isn't uncommon alongside PMR. There is some logic in that myofascial pain syndrome is also found quite often in patients with PMR.

I had awful foot pain with PMR - but it wasn't like plantar fasciitis, it felt like walking on sharp pebbles mixed with broken glass and only heavy-duty hill walking shoes made walking any less uncomfortable. Sandals were an absolute non-no. It did fade after several months on pred. A study on the north of England did show that PMR can be associated with foot pain but you will find many doctors who deny it. 

On the other hand - pred can and does affect tendons - maybe you have problems of that sort?

• Posted

Yes,   Ive had bone spurs for many years and they have nothing to do with

PMR or pred....caused by ligament that stretches from the bottom of the

foot to the heel....the ligament stretches out with time and can actually pull

a small piece of bone down out of the heel bone and that's what is called

the spur....very painful.   You need to see a podiatrist and the cure is some

good shoes that lift the collapsed arch.  Many treatments to help with

the pain.   This is the result of wearing shoes with no support like flip-flops

which I was guilty of.  Flip-flops or slaps are not our friend......

• Posted

I have GCA, and before that, PMR. I developed Plantar Facitis last summer, extremely painful and left me almost unable to walk. I did exercises and wore a special insole in my shoe. It took about 6 weeks for it to get better.

So, it could be the prednisolone, rather than PMR.

• Posted

Hi Jon, I developed plantar fasciitis in my right heel 8 months before my diagnosis of PMR in late 2014.  The podiatrist showed me a special way to wrap my foot each morning, provided cushions for the heels in my shoes and warned me about wearing bad footwear, as has been mentioned in other replies.  It got much better, but never completely went away.   After starting on Prednisone for PMR, my left heel started hurting too, so now I do have mild plantar fasciitis in both heels.   I try to wear good support shoes as often as possible and have spent a fortune on shoe inserts that help a

little bit, but not completely.  I discovered a heel insert for plantar fasciitis on the internet that was designed by a doctor who after doing research discovered a certain way to design this insert.  I have used them for 2 weeks now and the difference is remarkable! I do not think I am permitted to mention the product but would give you the information if you would like if you private message me ( not sure how to do that!).   At any rate, after using these inserts during the day, if I have to get up during the night and walk in my bare feet, I do not have the pain in the heel area that I had always experienced.   Not sure if plantar fasciitis is related to PMR though and I do have poor arches to begin with.  Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.