PMR attack of the wrists.

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have had classic PMR symptoms (shoulders/upper arms/hips) and was diagnosed on March 2015... I am now reduced to 6MG pred daily.  

Have for the past two weeks or so had SEVERE wrist pain... not sure if it is pred withdrawal or PMR.   

Anyone else have PMR pain hit their wrists?   Cannot stand to bend them... Cannot remove a lid from a jar, etc.    Gets better as the day wears on.  Worse in the night/early morning.  

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maggie, as PMR runs it's course, symptoms show up somewhat randomly, each for some period of time.

In my case, I've had months-long stiffening of the knees, sore feet, arthritic thumb joints, and painful ribcage, each at a different time.

So something like painful wrist joints sounds just like the next possible thing I might have to deal with, though thankfully not yet, and I'm still hopeful that perhaps my intense ribcage pain might be the last area to get hit.

I would like to create a list of specific symptoms by region that are subject to episodic pmr attack.

I do notice that, with respect to my more-recent regional symptoms, that I can reverse any onset of new symptoms by increasing my prednisone dosage slightly, so I am now back up to 6mg (18 months into treatment) in response to my thumb joint and ribcage symptoms, and have been "stuck" at 6mg for several months now.

• Posted

Yes,I have had exactly the same with this flare up-first time ever and like you weakness of grip.Other members on forum put my mind at rest as they have had the same
  • Posted

Hi maggiGrace,

sorry to hear about your wrists. It's just a thought but I also had painful wrists last week and also thought it might be pmr. Then I thought about what I'd been doing over the previous days before. My food processor had packed up and I made a batch of pastry by hand! Hence the pain and it has now cleared up. So it's always wise to look for other reasons first before blaming pmr. I do empathise and hope you get rid of the pain soon whatever it is.

• Posted

Hello Maggie, I've had PMR for nearly two years and can remember having the wrist aches and pains but put it down to the Alendronic Acid as this is when it seemed to flare the most.

i don't know what mg of pred you started on but 6mg seems quite low at around 6 months into PMR and I wondered if this could be a reason too.

hope it soon goes away.

glenys 

• Posted

Maggi, what dose of predict were you started on - and what were your ESR & CPR results?

On the forum lately there seem to be many sufferers who get down to amazingly low pred after only a few months!  I have always had bad wrist pain (among other things!) and after 3 1/2 years I have had great difficulties getting down to 6 mg (and I know I am not alone on this).  

Have your doctors found some miracle drug that gets you of pred so quickly?  I wear wrist bandages at night, and sometimes during the day, to cope with the pain.  I also wear ankle supports at night or when I go for a walk.  In fact it seems lately as though I am getting 'dressed' to go to bed!!!

• Posted

Sorry about the 'predict'.  I think I'll have to turn off this blessed predictive text.  I find it helpful, but b.........annoying at times!!

All the best fr Constance

• Posted

I was started on only 10mg oral, but also received 40Mg(?) kenalog injection in each shoulder and one knee.  My Rheumy said the shots would have a systemic effect and they did.  My hip pains completely disappeared and have not returned. (Crossing fingers). I was started on a lower dose of pred than normal due to a really bad reaction I had when given pred years ago for severe allergies

I don't recall my inflammation #'s but they were elevated enough to to point the Rheumy directly to PMR diagnosis. To be certain, Rheumy also tested me for every other disease possible, and all was negative.  Also, the pred results were miraculous - within hours I was almost pain free. 

I do realize the taper is fast - she is insisting I go down 1mg every 3 weeks.  I did fine until I first hit 6 - then my best friend became critically ill and I was so upset I had a flare.  I went back up to 7 for a couple of weeks, and now have just reduced back down to 6.  

I continue to have some shoulder pain/inflammation - but it's tolerable.  The pain in my wrists was excruciating for about the past 3 weeks... But today (for the first time since it came on) I have barely noticed it.   I do wear braces on my wrists when the pain is bad.  

I Have recently begun taking a couple of extra strength Tylenol with my pred first thing in the AM (about 5). It does seem to help,with some of the overall achyness I feel. 

I am am also taking a Tumeric supplement and a magnesium tablet (when I can remember them!). I am not sure they are helping, but I don't think they are making me worse.  

I DO seem to have an increased inflammation reaction to eating sugary stuff, so I'm trying to be good.  No desserts etc.  but I haven't given up my nightly glass of vino or two (and hope I never have to!)

• Posted

Hi Maggi I've had PMR for about a year with the classic symptoms you described..  Started at 15mg pred. and over the last 24 weeks have been reducing at the rate of 1mg every 2 weeks. Got down to 4mg with no problems.  When I dropped to 3mg the symptoms started in my hands and wrists just as you've described.  I went back up to 4mg for a few days and then upped it to 6mg and there now appears to be an improvement.  Good luck. Bob
    • Posted

Are you new to the forum Bob?  Can't remember having seen your neme before.

Brought back wonderful memories.  We lived in Bristol for 7 years.  Great place.  

Regards fr Constance

• Posted

Hi Constance yes i'm new to the forum. I guess i joined out of desperation like most people and it certainly helps to know that you're not alone with the struggle. Yes Bristol is a wonderful place with something for everyone.

Take care. Bob

• Posted

Then "welcome to the club that nobody really wants to join".  it's a great club.  Always someone here to listen/advise, etc.  We are all so different, but we all have the one thing in common - the 'delightful' illness that nobody seems to have heard of till you get it - [u]PMR![/u]
    • Posted

That's supposed to be PMR underlined!!!😏😏
  • Posted

Yes i am reducing from 10mg to 8.5mg and my feet for the last 3 weeks feel as if they are on fire, and today my thumb and fingers hurt, i have only had this since reducing i think it is to be expected.
    • Posted

Yes - why by 1.5mg now you are below 10mg? 1mg is more than enough - and 0.5mg is far better.
    • Posted

i am doing it by .5mg, i started at ten and have got to 8.5mg, sorry if i mislead you, in so much pain today, it was what Dr Bingham wanted me to do, so i am giving it a go
    • Posted

Yes, I remember that now and now I get what you meant.

If you are in so much pain do give the clinic a call if it gets too bad. 

• Posted

thank you i did not know if i would be able to do this as with the doctor been unsure about my condition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.