PMR/copd

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi has any one else been diagnosed with pmr who also has copd 

I have very recently been to see the Rheumy and having tests for pmr . i also have copd and on occasion have to take steriods for short periods for infection (its how I discovered pmr when after taking steroids for copd most of my pain subsided for a short time) will this new diagnosis conflict with the copd, trying to get ahead of my self here and understand what is happening to me , may have had undiagnosed pmr for about 4 years now. 

I find all of this so confusing HELP.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you have had PMR for 4 years you are very lucky to have been on steroids or you may have ended up with GCA which is really horrible... Hope you are doing ok
  • Posted

You say you are taking steroids for the COPD right... for how long? Is your Dr going to continue the steroids since he diagnosed you with PMR? I hope he does it can get very nasty if not treated... well it's nasty anyway but can lead to much worse things like GCA if not treated.
    • Posted

Hi, I only need to take steriods for copd if I have infection which has happened twice in 12 months, i found when I was taking steriods that all the pain I have had for about 4 years went away so i saw my GP who sent me to consultant who thinks I may have PMR, so waiting the result of tests .
    • Posted

Meant to say I was on steriods for only a week each time ,very short period, eight a day for a week.
  • Posted

YYou are very lucky if you do have PMR and have gone 4 years with no meds... BTW the tests they run for PMR are inconclusive usually and you can have good tests results and still have PMR... usually if the steroids help then they "say" you have it. It usually runs a course from 1-5 years so I am told. I have had it since Feb with unbelievable pain at the onset  I am trying to taper the nasty steroids to 7 mg a day this week... it's a rough road and I hope you don't have it. Facebook has a great blob called Polymyalgia Rheumatica you might enjoy reading the info there and they are a great support group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.