PMR edema in lower leg, ankle and feet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have had PMR for 18 months, down to 5 mg. pred/day, just bumped up to 6 mg. in an effort to mitigate pesky  edema in lower legs, ankles and feet. Me: 65 yo. male in Florida.

Edema is gone in AM, before rising, then gradually increases over the day to a 1+ to 2+  grade (moderate, when pressed with finger a 2-4 mm depression remains for 7 to 15 seconds).

Had Hands and feet  involvement pre-prednisone, no apparent joint degradation from RA, not diagnosed with RA. Rheumies have given me blessing to make minor adjustments in dosage and taper to mitigate symptoms (you know what I mean).

Any out there have experience with this particular manifestation? How did you deal with it?

Thanks to all in this group. I may have not said it before, but you who contribute often, selflessly, with considered information. are a stalwart foundation to those of us in the silent majority.

Dan

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You are where right I am in terms of the duration of your condition and of your present dosage. I'm 55 btw. 

I have some edema effect, but I think I have at times had it worse even before acquiring pmr. No pain or irritation ever resulted though. I've heard it is somewhat diet-related.  I suppose it might also be related to taking prednisone(?).

My symptoms have traveled around, are now centered around my ribcage with hips and shoulders near-normal at this point.

• Posted

Interesting Dan, my first bout was when I was 53, undiagnosed, lasted 1.5 years with total remission. Was stimulated by fully torn rotator cuff from fall while rollerblading. The remission was almost total till 10 years later, after a psychological trauma. Sof for me, big trauma spells PMR.
    • Posted

Dan, that's just what it seems like!

I had broken my wrist, which led to Chronic Regional Pain Disorder (CRPS) with all of my right limb's hinges (fingers and all) stiffening severely.  As I was recovering, and dealing with the many stresses of a poorly-timed distressed-home purchase, and as winter had just really kicked in...  ...THAT'S when pmr first struck.

May we all keep our stressors under control.

• Posted

Yup, classic water retention, you can help your self during the day.

When sitting down, put  your feet up on the mantelpiece  ie higher than your head.

Remember not to reduce your intake of water  - keep it up to at least one litre per day.

Celery and some other thing (which if MrsO comes along she will remember)  are good dieuretics.

• Posted

Good plan lodger, will work on the diet. Tough elevating feet while I'm trying to get back on them! HA.
  • Posted

Hi Dan, lodger remembers well about celery being one of the good diuretic-type foods.  Asparagus, garlic, fennel and melon can also help.  Also, if you have salt in your diet, that should be reduced/avoided as much as possible.  I included plenty of such foods during my steroid days and wasn't troubled with oedema.  Blood pressure medication can also cause swollen ankles from fluid retention.
    • Posted

The trouble with the veg etc is - how much in a day must we eat to make it really work?
    • Posted

The answer to that, Constance, is however much each person needs to have an effect, I suppose, depending on the extent of their oedema.  I have fair helpings of various organic, steamed veggies most days, including a clove of fresh, raw garlic every day, a stick of celery with my salad lunch every day, and steamed asparagus about 5 times a week.
  • Posted

I was complaining to my GP only last week about feeling bloated and 'tight' - particularly in the afternoons. I wouldn't call it edema exactly - I assumed it was yet another side effect of Mr Fred. I started taking a diuretic yestereday so I'll see how it goes. I certainly didn't notice any more frequent trips to the loo yesterday!
  • Posted

Hey....I'm your Brevard County neighbor.....I too have the swelling in

feet and ankles.  Showed it to doc several times and he didn't have any

comment to make.  Just pressed on it since I think it can be indicative

of heart problems if it does or doesn't pop back out.  Not sure which

way it is but just had physical which included EKG and echocardigram  But then I'm 78 and I get a lot of "for your age" and think that's one of the things that happens to us.  I really hate it, can't wear hardly any of my shoes. First thing to do is NO SALT.  I never thought it had anything to do with pred since I've been on it for 2 years and this just showed

up recently.  I'm on l7mg and have been as low as 4mg and had

to increase......I too appreciate all the info and stories shared on

this site.  So glad I found it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.