PMR, Prednisone, Taper

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 25 days into a taper from 7-1/2 to 7 using the DSNS+ method.

At this point I have "cut out" 2-1/2m of prednisone.  My left foot, leg has always been one of the "go to" spots for the PMR. I have not injured that leg. Should I continue this taper...suffer thru...or go back to 7-1/2m daily, and a pretty much pain free existence. Seems worth it to see if the left leg gets better on the 7-1/2??

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would not advise that you taper in the face of inflammation and pain. Your body needs to acclimate to the current level of prednisones, and for the tapering will only exacerbate the problem.
  • Posted

Is the pain in your leg and foot really due to PMR or do you possibly have another issue?  It sounds like that is a weak place in your body, as in my case I had a lot of hip pain.  But I accepted return of the hip pain as just one of those things, as none of the PMR disability and widespread aching pain had returned.  Hip now much better despite continuing taper, as a wonderful physiotherapist helps me with my aging arthritic spine, and with non-PMR related muscle spasms. 

Your call of course.  Good luck!

• Posted

Did you have the hip pain before PMR? Maybe your hip pain was prednisone withdrawal...?
    • Posted

Yes, I've had hip pain for years.  I think PMR made it worse, but it wasn't the cause.  I have some osteoarthritis in my spine and that seems to have caused some nerve or other to be affected.  So my physiotherapist gives me low intensity light therapy to reduce inflammation. PMR. and various other techniques to straighten and strengthen my spine, OP.  smile

• Posted

PMR doesn't 'usually' present on one side - that said it can - however, I would be looking at other causes for the left leg problems.

There are other causes of inflammation than just PMR. :-)

• Posted

Thanks...that is true!...hard to distinguish when I have had such "fluky" ailments over the last two+ years with this PMR!

• Posted

Left knee. Now right hand.  For me, almost always presenting on one side.
    • Posted

That is so annoying...and I know it is the tapering because I was so "stable" on 7-1/2m...makes me think it is prednisone withdrawal and/or overuse. Overuse can often elude me...how much is too much? Think I will listen to the person on this forum who rests often regardless of how he/she feels??

• Posted

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you are reducing relentlessly to zero. You aren't: you are reducing from your starting dose to find the lowest dose that manages your symptoms as well as it did.

The starting dose is one that is more than the vast majority of people will need to manage their symptoms - because that is all it is ever doing, managing the symptoms. It has no effect on the real cause, an underlying autoimmune disorder that causes your immune system to go haywire and attack your body as "foreign". Once the symptoms are under control and the existing inflammation is cleared out you then look for this lowest dose - the dose you will need for some time until the autoimmune bit goes into remission. 

It may well be that 7.5mg is the perfect dose, the lowest that completely clears out the new dollop of inflammation that happens every morning due to the shedding in the body of a new batch of cytokines. It's only half a mg - but half a mg can make a BIG difference!

It doesn't mean you won't get lower - just not yet.

• Posted

I have to say - if it were me I would go back to the 7 1/2mg to test - if the pain goes you have an answer that suggests you aren't ready to do that 1/2mg yet. You are now at what is called a physiological dose - about the same amount of corticosteroid your body makes naturally in the form of cortisol. Most experts stop worrying about pred with patients who can get to there. Obviously less is better in the long term but this is a point at which you needn't get all het up about taking pred and can relax about tapering. Which is always a good thing and may well help the PMR and the taper!

• Posted

It is disappointing to have spent the whole month of July on this taper...giving up a whole 3m (as of two days from now)...but your point is well taken. I will up the prednisone to 7-1/2 and see if I feel good again.

I am leaving for a week of relaxation. Also, I do sometimes worry about not controlling this inflammation as much as possible. Prednisone, my friend!😊 Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.