pmr symptons

Posted , 5 users are following.

along with the shoulders, arms, pain, not able to raise to dress, brush hair etc, without excrutiating pain, have also pain in left buttocks area, glutes, and back of hamstrings, has anyone out there had pain in all these area, particularly for first few hrs of morning , seem to be worse then, eases slightly through day, 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've had pain in calf muscles pre statins and worse now i always do a few calf stretches through the day they also help me feet the condition of which i feel has been exacerbated by the use of statins. I also do glue stretched. Same with cervical abd thoraxic spine problems had for years and now way worse . I've been taking all the vitamins recommended but honestly I don't know how much they help. I constantly feel tired and i'm only in my 50's but I feel 90

• Posted

so you are off statins now ? and have you been diagnosed with pmr then ? i too have had issues on and off with back , hips, but wasnt  chronic, then as  i said, started to become increasingly worse bout the beginning of sept, until thanksgiving wkend, when shoulders, glutes, hamstrings , pain was intolerable and couldn,t function, that is why i ended up on this prednisone, dr started such high dose, 40 mg,last 2 wks, now he and rheumy tapering me down, at 25 now, even though rhemy  hasnt confimed gp,s diagnosis, until all tests competed, and she studies my history, you are young to have these troubles, im 68, but have been relatively healthy up til this  , did you have any diagnosis re aching calf muscles, back etc prior to statin, and what statin exactly were you taking
    • Posted

I've been off them for 2 years now cheryl don't know what my bloods are because i won't do a pathology test. The last time I was at the Dr I was waiting to get a small wart removed from my hand and the Dr came back down to the nurses area and put his hand on my shoulder gave me a pathology form and said get these done next week.Of course all these tests are bulk billed (australia means free) and I wonder if they'd think twice if people had to pay for them. Did he tell me what it was for NO. went straight in the bin.I haven't been diagnosed with anything because I can't find a dr (my dr having retired 12 month ago and I could have talked to him ) to believe that statins do harm. As far as my muscular skeletal problems go seems it's pretty much genetic,I've been having problems since my early 20's my 2 sisters have very similar problems.I was first on lipitor and had dreadful shoulder pain and then he changed me to crestor. So now instead of taking one tablet i'm taking heaps and i'm not very good at taking tablets so it's a real stressor.I'm basically self diagnosing these days with the help of the internet. And I am certainly not going to take anymore long term meds. I'd rather take street drugs than go there. I have absolutely no faith in dr's at the moment

• Posted

It sounds like pmr to me. Have you seen a doctor or had a blood test? I already had pmr and was taking prednisolone when I was prescribed statins but decided they are not for  me!
    • Posted

yes ii am convinced gp,s initial diagnosis was correct, only started sending me for bloodwork after on prednisone, so rheumy has no record of what levels were prior to med, and as you know prednisone can raise all levels, so not a clear picture of what was going on prior, no kidney function tests done which should be monitored when on statins, no csr done, wbc,etc
  • Posted

My rheumy didn't believe anything my GP said. I saw him after 6 months of pred so symptoms were obviously much improved. On reducing my CRP went up so then he  agreed with pmr but not GCA which I started with. They both can be difficult to diagnose.

• Posted

k thanks whisper, well my rheumy, which i actually asked for referral initially, is not convinced it,s pmr, some readings, like sediment rate don,t indicate inflamation,, but  of course ,was already on pred for 2 wks when saw her, i have back issues, herniated disk, degenerative,etc, she was alluding to buttocks and hamstrings affected by that , i don,t agree, but have to wait til she studies whole picture,,

• Posted

Yes, probably the pred would have reduced sed rate but some people with pmr never have raised markers anyway so symptoms only are the key.
  • Posted

I have had the exact same symptoms, shoulders, arms, buttocks, and knees all are hurting like heck. Dr, drew blood and it came back normal so he told me to quit taking lipitor to see if that would help. Its been a week now and I can start to tell the pain is much better than it was a week ago. Not 100 percent yet but going in the right direction. I was getting depressed because I normally can take pain very well, but this totally sucks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.