PMR, TAPERING PREDNISONE

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI AGAIN, I have been on prednisone for 17 months,starting at 15-10. This is my second attempt at tapering; didnt go slow enough the first time!😒 I have now tapered down successfully...was on 8 mg for 5 weeks...have been on 7.5 for 2 weeks. For the first time I am feeling "nervous"..."anxious"....coyld this be prednisone withdrawal?

hate to complain when everything else is good, but I think I should be more calm now that I have gotten this far. I did feel a "shift" about a month ago (for the good!)...strange, but reason for optimism. Thank you for all the support this forum offers!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

could be! When I was on higher doses, and a lot less experienced with dealing with tapering (have GCA so started at 80mg) and dropped down overnight I would feel a bit edgy, and a bit short-tempered for a few days. 

However, once I got to know more, and got down to 10mg I, like you reduce by 0.5mg a time, and also use a slower method, not the very slow method, but one that takes about 4 weeks to complete. I find this doesn't give me any problems ( touch wood etc) , am now just down to 3.5mg. Might be worth a try. 

Could also be your adrenals taking time to kick back in, they haven't had to do anything for the last 17 months. 

• Posted

It's possible though as Sue says - is it really anxiety or is it more edginess? 

Have you seen the very slow reduction we keep harping on about on the forums?

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

It is in the replies part - you just have one day at a time of the new lower dose and I find for the first 3 or 4 single days I feel strange, I can't put a finger on it. it is a sort of unsettled feeling. Then my body gives up complaining and accepts the new lower offering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.