Pneumonia

Posted , 3 users are following.

After some advice please. My mum had a hernia operation a week ago Monday, all went well, she was discharged the day after. As soon as she came out of surgery she had a cough, and had to be on oxygen. Cough gradually got worse, and I could hear her chest 'rattling' when she was breathing. I called a doctor out to her today, and the doctor diagnosed a bad chest infection and pneumonia. She's 75, not in the best of her at the best of times (takes blood pressure tablets and warfrin amonst others). Am I right in being very concerned? She has been given amoxicillin, steriods and a enhaler. Doctor doesnt 'feel she needs to be in hosptial at the moment' . Can anyone give me any advice? I'm very worried,

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,you must be very worried ,no one likes to see their mum poorly ,sounds like she's had/ having a rough time ,and possibly should have been kept in hospital ,

the steroids should start working soon along with the amoxicillin antibiotic ,but you can always contact your GP again and explain your concern ,or ring the British lung foundation ,I'm sorry it's all OR's ,but I'm not a health proffecional, but I have had pneaumomia ,and I was taken into hospital the first two occasions ,,,but the last time I was treated at home, ,,,if in doubt ,,,,999. Best wishes to you 

• Posted

Thank you son much Nanny1086. Its pretty scary. Althought my dad predominatly passed away from a heart attack, he'd been in hospital for the 2 weeks before his death, and he also had pnuemonia. Mum is on a pretty high dose of steroids, has to take 6 a day, all at once. Hopefully the will kick pnuemonia's butt! Thanks again.
  • Posted

Yes Lisaleo, you should be concerned. It could take her a long time to spring back from this infection given her age and other health challenges.

There is something that I would insist upon and that is to have her sputum cultured. She only has to cough up her phlegm into a little sterile container and then the lab cultures it to define exactly what the bug, germ is and that way you can be sure she is on the proper medication/antibiotic to kill the bug instead of the average cover all types antibiotics that may only suppress it.

You cannot waste time due to her age, however it is ok to take an antibiotic while waiting for the cultured results.

We can catch serious germs while we are in hospitals. It has happened to me twice. Straight to my lungs, the weakest part of my body. If I had not insisted, I could have died or spent years on antibiotics that only suppressed it instead of killing it.

If you are not listened to, as has happened to me, and this is the reason I use the word "insist." Remember that your mum is part of the medical team. In fact she is THE most important part of the team, and you are her advocates. Sometimes doctors need to be reminded of this.

Hope the best for your mum.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

I agree with all you have said ,,,,,and your comments clearly stated, I whole heartily agree with INSIST ,
    • Posted

Thank you Dawn, yes, she has a container which she needs to put her phlegm into, I told her to do it tonight when I went to see her after work. When I go in to mums in the morning, I will run it to the surgery straight away. I'm wondering if the doctor is waiting for the results of this, and then will maybe admit her to hospital?
    • Posted

Hi if your mum is doing a sputum sample tonight ,,,put it inthe fridge to keep it fresh ( I was told by my consultant) or do a fresh sample first thing in the morning ,
    • Posted

Hi , ,,,I'm not sure if I've offended you in some way DawnDedee,,,if I have ? I assure you I didn't intend to ,regards,
    • Posted

What offence? I do not know of any. What made you say this? No you have not offended me in anyway.

Hugs

💛 Dawn

• Posted

Hi ,I've obviously misunderstood your comment, thankyou for your reply I appreciate it ,confused
    • Posted

Dear Nanny,

The source of my thoughts for the comment of been there and done that, was based on your comment before mine in which you put the emphasis on the word" insist", from my post before that. Ha! Complicated huh? 💛

We both know that we sometimes have to INSIST with medical personnel when we want and need something done.

Hugs

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Hi again ,keep us informed of improvements ,and remember to ring GP ,or 999 if YOU think it nesasary ,,thinking of you both ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.