pneumothorax

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am a 40 year old female and 2 weeks ago had a spontaneous pneumothorax. I experinenced pain in the right side of my back at about 8.30am while drinking tea and thought I had trapped wind. I treated myself all day with Gaviscon but by the evening it was catching my breath. I attended A & E that evening to be told what had happened to me. My right lung had totally collapsed. I had a chest drain inserted with suction but it took 7 days for my lung to inflate. This is longer than normal considering I am a perfectly healthy slim woman, but eventually it did inflate. I have been told it could happen again but then it may never occur again. Who knows? It was a painful frightening experince but it does get better.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had something similiar in 2012. My left lung did NOT reinflate. I had 2 surgeries, the hated chest tubes, etc. The 2nd surgery did the trick, though it was a brutal recovery. I am keeping my fingers crossed as over 2/3 have another one within 2 years
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear what happened. I have had it happen to me numerous times spontaneous. I'm now 34 and it happened to both my lungs. I had vats procedure to try and stop it happening again. This worked fine then years later I had the tension pneumothorax (very rare) which would have killed me. Luckily for the ambulance treating me quickly. I then after that episode had pleurectomay and this was 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since. I am a fit young person also. So yes it can happen again like it did to me but knowing the symptoms and the pain you can at least get to the A&E quickly. Hope this helps and touch wood it doesn't happen aging to you.

Jonathan

• Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your case of spontaneous primary pneumothorax. I am having it for the 3rd time on my left lung. The symptoms don't seem to be very severe for me except mild shortness of breathe. A few pains in the left shoulder area and discomfort and breathless feeling when I bend over and the pocket of air rushes from the top of my chest to the bottom and back up when I stand again. I am beginning to become concerned with this as it's the 3rd occurrence. But my doctor informed me it was almost bound to happen to me at least once and up to 10 times in my lifetime due to a defect of lung formation at birth mixed woth the fact I am tall 6'2" and skinny 125-130lbs. I am 25 now and it first happened at 21. Which is apparently he normal age range for males to start having this. Roughly 20-40 is the average time frame for both males and females to have them occur and very unlikely to occur after that. I have not had an operation to have it stapled or closed in any way and have let my body re absorb the air naturally both times and will this time to unless there is a complication. It has generally last 2-3 weeks this way as the alternative surgery would of left my to recover about the same amount of time.

I wish you a speedy recovery and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in experience this more than once. If you have questions I might be able to fill answers. I've reaerached this a fair bit now. And it can be simply spontaneous. Or likely to occur because of a defect in lung formation. Mine was because the way the lung formed. Instead of being like a tree and having lots of little leaves. "Pockets of air" mine formed one big one on the top left of my left lung.

• Posted

Hi all I'm sorry u all suffer from this condition, my son turned 19 at Xmas, I took him a and e on Friday with chest pain they x rayed him but couldn't see anything and sent him home, then on Tuesday we were called by one of the doctors to go back up for another x Ray and they found the spontaneous pneumothorax which was still there from the Friday, we were told its is because he is thin and 6ft tall is why he has it. He will go for another x Ray in 3 weeks to see if it has gone or not, im worried because he suffers from asthma so as u can imagine I am keeping a close eye on him.  Hope u all don't have any more episodes of this awful conditions 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.