POEM Surgery

Posted , 40 users are following.

Hi, its been 14 months since i have had my POEM surgery and have been very happy with the results.  Is there anyone who has had it done longer than 2 to 5 days.  I am  curious to know if they had to repeat the surgery or do they contiue to be ok.  

1 like, 97 replies

97 Replies

Next
  • Posted

truth  i am outraged 3 hernia in 1 year  after  kidney surgery .living in fear doctors dont no  what  to do  isent that  crazy meanwhile im living in agany
    • Posted

Hi, i am sorry to hear this, when i first got sick i had at least 5 different consultations. Did you try more than one doctor?
  • Posted

Where did you have the POEM , Japan ?
    • Posted

No in new york. My doctor is the head of gi at Winthrop university hospital.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy,

I had the POEM surgery 3 weeks ago.  I'm still having immense chest pain..especially after eating.  Did it take you awhile to get better?

Thanks!

Ashley

• Posted

Hi, i did for a few months if i ate anything heavy, especially bagels. Try and eat soft foods or really small bites, also remember to drink often, i was given a syrup which was to numb my osephagus, but i did not take it. As the weeks pass, it will get better, try to avoid food thatvis gassy, spicy, fried or have acids, or try to eat them earlier in the day. I also drink a lot of tea and warm fluids. I dont think there is anyone way to get back to normal, but each day will be trial and error on what diet works. I have yet to meet anyone who had the poem longer than i did. Thankfully i am managing and have gained back the weight, plus actually sleeping at least 6 hours a night. I still get up with anxiety or choking occasionall, but usually this happens when i eat late and sleep soon after.take it one day at a time, it will get better, the first month after the procedure is scary as your body adjust, but it will get better. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.
    • Posted

It is a surgery where they put an instrument down your throat/esophagus and then they cut the lower esophageal sphincter muscle.  It is done internally, so there is no external scarring.  
    • Posted

Recovery is also very quick, you return to a regular diet in a few days, results for me have been life saving.
    • Posted

Hi Roxanne, Its a surgery that is done internally throught the mouth.  IT takes about 9 hours and you stay in the hospitalist for 3 days following the surgery.  The muscles on the outside of the osephagus are cut as well as the spincter muscle between the stomach and the osephagus is cut open.  No need for peristalsis to happen.  The food tuns right through the osephagus into the stomach.  Prep for the surgery is 2 weeks soft diet of usually broth, jello, pudding, ensure and 3 days prior to the surgery only clear liquids.  Recovery time is within 2 weeks, soft diet to regular diet and protonix meds, twice a day, half an hour before meets to decrease the acid reflux.  POEM is a fairly new procedure, so there are not many GI providers who recommend patients to have it done.  Because the surgery is internal there are no external scaring. a week after the procedure i was able to return to work. 

• Posted

Hi wendy, this is a great post. I too had POEM recently. Did you have acid reflux, heartburn and belching the month of the surgery ? Did you take PPIs the first month ? Did you stop them or are you continuing to take those medicines ?  
  • Posted

hi , i also  have had my POEM surgery in Asian Institute of Gastrology  Hydrabad India by Dr. Nageshwar Reddy 6th August 2015, after surgery i have filling pain when eating or drinking in clips in side my esophagos.how much day you filling like this and how any day clips are there ?
    • Posted

Clips stay in for about 2-3 weeks. The pain gets better in a few months but am still struggling with Achalasia pain.
    • Posted

Hey DKG,

My name is Arvind From Punjab......i searched through many forum online but you are the only case in india that I could find on internet.....I have been suffering from achalasia cardia since last four years almost.... and need some help ........ I wonder if we could talk over Phone and you can guide me in taking few decisions while selectin a dr. in Hydrabaad.

can you text me at  ( Plus Nine one - Nine eight seven two six - eight one nine six five )and i will get back to you.

its a request bro....text me and i will get bck to y

• Posted

Dear Sir, need your suggestion for POEM Surgery. There is a case of failure of achlesia cardia surgery , I undergone 8 yrs back. How is your health post surgery. Pls share your number or

text ur number at 9887005219

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.