point pain on 5th metatarsal: x rays negative; pain improving with RICE

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had pain in right foot for about 2 weeks, increasing over time. Earlier this week, went to the doc, who noted swelling and significant point tenderness/ pain at the 5th metatarsal near the bony prominance. MD sent me for x rays to confirm what he believed was a stress fracture of the 5th metatarsal. He said that there was a likelyhood of surgery, but possibly just casting or a boot. I was not given any activity modification or orthotic. 

X Ray was done that night and resuts given to me the next day was that the x ray was negative. At this point, I was told to go to PT for "chronic foot pain". I think this is a mischaracterization of this issue. I experienced this issue about 8 years ago, after military training. I did not seak medical intervention at that time, just wrapped the foot and did what I could to stay off it. I have had mild pain off and on over the years but not reaching this level of pain. 

I went to the PT, as instructed by my doc, and they didn't really know what to do with me and suggested I see an ortho or poditrist. I have an appointment, but not until a week from today. I have been trying to stay off the foot and icing it- which is helping. 

In your experiences- is this still likely a stress fracture? or something else? Anyone with a similar story who ended up with a diagnosis? Thoughts on self care over the next week?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If pain continues I would go for second opinion and xray. Sometimes they don't pick it up first time especially if bone is not displaced .Don't leave it to long as it can do more damage if metatarsal is fractured. Look after your self if the pain continues and don't take chances

Best of luck.

• Posted

Was your xray with you standing and your foot on xray slide. My stress fracture did not show on slide with me laying down on table. Until you see ortho or podiatrist, I would stay off it. I found that pain relievers did not really help. Keeping foot above heart was the only thing that kept the swelling down.
    • Posted

No I was laying on the table when the x rays were taken. Thank you for your advice. 
  • Posted

Figured I would keep this updated for others. I went to the ortho on Friday, who ordered an MRI. I have the images and from googlining like a mad woman, it appears to be a fracture sad Waiting on confirmation, likely early in the week (it's Sunday night now). 

Does anyone have experience with treating a 5th met stress fracture, there is now no pain. I woulnd't have gone back to the doc on Friday, but my partner insisted I get this solved. I have had pain off and on at the site for 9 years now. 

• Posted

Mine took 8 weeks to diagnose. Ended up b in a non weight bearing boot, knee scooter, and a bone stimulator for 17 weeks. Take into consideration I am 66.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.