Polonidal sinus open wound after care

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I had removal of infected area yesterday and was left as an open wound and I did not get told much about aftercare. I wonder if anyone could me some info. The pain is quite bearable at the moment which is surprising after all I have read on this

I have been told to get packing and dressings changed every 2 days. Someone else told me previously every day?

One nurse told me not to drive for 2 weeks another one just 48 hours, my insurance company are fine with 48 hours

How long do I have to wait until I am allowed to sit? Is it just if/when it doesn't hurt to do so? They told me not to sit on it for long but did not say how long this has to last for. I can sit fine with no discomfort. I would say the pain is the same as the cyst caused me so I am used to it. I have a medical certificate for 2 weeks currently and would like to go to work after this time but I have an office sit down job but I luckily work from home in the main

They said I can shower but should I leave the dressing on? Would i be best doing this before each visit with the nurse?

How long do we have to wait to have alcohol? I am just thinking of xmas coming up

Sorry for all the questions but I have been given so much conflicting advice from different hospitals, surgeons and nurses

Many thanks for your help in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had an abscess incised and drained (not a pilonidal sinus though)and I had to have my wound packed and dressed everyday, then they changed to every other day. In doing so the outside healed before the inside did so I was left with a 0.7mm depth wound so they had to reopen it again, instead of reopening it slightly they cut even bigger. I then had to have it packed everyday.

On my initial discharge from hospital all the nurse said was that the district nurse will visit on sunday to pack the wound. She did but I had to arrange for visiting my local hospial district nurse dressing clinic for daily wound packing!!

No advice about when I could sit, drive, return to work etc..

I was off work for 6 week as my job entails sitting all day for 8hrs, with daily visits to the hospital for wound packing. Nurse advised saltwater baths for me???

• Posted

Oh wow seems you haven't had that much information. The depth of my wound was about 6cm and it has taken me about 5 months to heal I didn't drive till about 6 weeks after my op as there was a bit of pain I am still a bit unsure about sitting fully in the healed wound as they have said it is quite fragile! About the shower I used to avoid showering the wound as it was very fragile only just starting making sure the wound is clean in the shower, I went to get my dressing check everyday for about 2 months then gradually became every other day then every 3/4 days i between dressing! Trying to leave the dressing in longer than a day helped me severely when it came to the healing process

Hope this helps with some information

• Posted

Thanks ever so much for your help and advice. I was back to work after 6 weeks sat all day for 8hrs.

Worried that I may have recurrence as now a bit uncomfortable to sit. 

Advice has been so poor.

• Posted

I actually went back to work after 2 weeks. I have no pain and am healing very well. I feel I have been very lucky. Thanks for all the replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.