Polycystic ovaries.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please help my daughter is 16, been told she ha PCOS and she is in alot of pain and i don't know what to give her, the doctors won't give her a strong pain killer as they say she is too young but they also keep trying to put the pain down to something else but on really bads days, she can barely walk. I do not like seeing my daughter in that much pain. Can anyone help?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Try Maca root 1500mg a day, it natural and helps regulate her hormone levels. Really helped for me! Research it you can buy it from Amazon.

Hope this helps

• Posted

I dont know if this is an option you would consider but accupuncture is the best thing that ive ever done in every sense of health. Also yoga is good for the muscles that cause the cramps. I would recommend both as an addition to any medication or herbals. I tried agnus castus which really helped my hormones and cramps but it is a fertility treatment so you might not want to consider that.
    • Posted

Okay i will have to see about a good yoga class for her and how much accupuncture is in my area. Thank you
  • Posted

Since PCOS varies from person to person, the pain might or might not be related to having PCOS it might be 100% something else entirely. I'd make sure to have another option to make sure it is a cyst or the like that is the issue also depends on where the pain is.

If it's abdominal it could be related but if it's elsewhere it could be something else. I'd get her a referral to a OBGYN who is willing to see her and go over her case history (if she doesn't already have one). 

Pain treatment wise, can't help I lived with abdominal pain that got progressively worse and had nothing to do with PCOS but to do with Premature Ovarian Failure and was compounded with Fibromyalgia

• Posted

Okay thank you. I will see if the doctor will do something. The pain is in the groin.
  • Posted

hello,

I hope i can relate to your situation as i was diagnosed at 15. I am now almost 20.

one thing I would reccomend is to keep going to the doctors, it took 8 visits and action from my school. I would be in pain most days, and during my time of the month and around 2 or 3 weeks before hand, I would have immbolising bursts of pain.

these repeated visits led to a ultra sound, this meant that my mum, the doctor and I, knew I had PCOS for definate. we also know where the cysts are and that allows us to pinpoint why I have pain "bursts" around 2 weeks before and on my period and why the cysts had formed.

Personally I wouldnt reccomend pain killers untill after you have a ultra sound or more information in-order to make sure your not covering up a actual probelm that could be fixed with the right meds rather than just the pain killed

My cysts had formed because my hormones were inbalanced so I never fully developed egg cells or managed to ovulate and all these half attempts were making it worse

I then, tried 4 types of medication, to fix the problem and took over the counter painkillers and hot water bottles to manage the pain while I trailed each one

the first was large yellow pill i had to take 3 times a day, I can't remember the name but I remember it was designed to level me out and get my ovulating normally it was the best they could do as i was so young. It was meant to help induce normal ovulation. However I was still personally in a lot of pain because even though I was now ovulating normally the cysts i already had still meant it was a painful process. however it does work for some.

the second and third were contraceptive pills taken once a day orally at exactly the same time every day. This stops the body making egg cells completely in order to prevent pregnancy. This was better but I'm a professional dancer and my form of PCOS and hormone imbalance so my metabolism peaks a lot and then the pill would would be digested at different rates leading my system kicking back in and  unexpected pain which in some ways was worse as I wasnt always as prepared for it as when i knew the pain would be on and 2 weeks before every period. this also means oral contraceptive would never be a safe and fully effective form of contraception for myself and some PCOS sufferers; just for future referance when she needs it. :-)

after I tried the contraceptive injection, the doctor only let me right it once I was sexually active and 17. This was right for me. it bipassed my metabolism as i did not have to consume it so it was always just the right amount so my system never reboots and tries to go back to the way it was. I still have a period but these are slightly longer, lighter and a lot less painful to the point where being sensible and over the counter pain killers cover it :-)

hope this helps

• Posted

This really does help, thank you. I am glad that the pain has got better for you. I will keep taking her to the doctors until i find one that will help her as they keep trying to say it's anything else but the PCOS. So i am very grateful for this and more determined to get help for her x

• Posted

Yeah unfortunately the doctors are not very helpful with PCOS. I had to go back 4 times over a period of 6 years before they officially put PCOS on my medical records. Especially if your daughter is a teen, they will say "its just her hormones, and it will settle down". Keep pushing, make sure they do the blood tests and an ultra-sound. Once she is diagnosed they will offer very little solution so these forums will become your friend. Hope it all works out ok for her!

• Posted

and when I say 4 times, I mean I had to go through the whole process 4 times of going to the GP, going for blood test, waiting for results, going back to the gp, being sent for an ultra sound, waiting for results, going back to the GP. and then being told, it seems like PCOS - go on the pill and if you ever have trouble getting pregnant come see us. No help with all the other symptoms such as pain. hair loss, weight gain, conspiation due to the size of my ovaries causing a blockage.
    • Posted

Ok. well with PCOS there is usually a constant dull ache because the ovaries are oversized and covered in cysts. But I do also get a lot of pain when Im constipated, which happens because of the overszed ovaries that can cause blockage around the intestines etc. so there could be a partial truth there, and I would recommend endolax for that. Also I tend to have horrendously painful periods that are very heavy and last 5-7 days for which I use pain killers, hot water bottles, and yoga stretching etc.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.