polycythaemia ruba vera

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was diagnosised with polycythemia rubra vera when i was then and im 17 now and for the past 7 years i've gone throgh many tests as in cat scans. bone marrow operation, lungs test and since all of that was clear ive to go hospital every month now and they check my blood and then take i think 20ml of blood for every kilo you are. my symptoms were whenever i got to warm, nervous or did alot of exercise id get extremly warm like somebody trough me into a fire and i get these bad pains like pins and needles going all around my chest spine and forehead nut there is no numbness and its like 10 times more painfull thans pins and needles actually is so if i was sittin in my sitting room with the fire on id have to go outside and get fresh air and i wouldnt be able to go back in for awhile because of the heat, hope this helped any of yous since i have been going through it since a very young age.

thanks for reading

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am truly sorry that you are suffering so much...God be with you.  I am a senior

and after 2 different cancers now have poly vera.  I have blood taken every time

my HCT (from a lab) shows more than 44.  I refused any meds and went on a

restricted diet of iron free foods (such as NO red meats and NO to some selective green veggies).  The tall tale sign of my illness (is as you said intense heat in the palm of my hands..which turn brillant red).  I drink 50 oz. of water daily and walk at 30 min. each day.  You did not state what your HCT is or what is your diet or water intake or excercies..Are you doing any of this.  Wondering???

• Posted

hey, thanks for the reply/ since i am so young to have this the hospital im currently in has said to me i am the second yongest in my country to have it at this age. So since im so young im in to doing lots of acivitys currently i play soccer but im a goalkeeper becase i love the sport but wont be able to run that much because of the pains but my manager knows about it and never pushes me to hard or i step out and take a minute or 2 break, also i quite like to go ti the gym and do abit of exercise there and at my own paise and i do alot of swimming. i dont pay much attention to the amount of water i drink really because i wouldnt be to into fizzy drinks id stay more to like ribena or orange and water. I'm not to sure what my HCT is but i know my HGT level is 19.7. I am sorry to hear what youve went throgh and i hope this answers your questions,

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Wayne. I understand that PVR is said to be environmentally caused. I have PV which is caused by having the jak2 gene mutation. However, both illnesses are caused by bone marrow problems. I at first had phlebotomies (blood draws). Then my Haematologist out me on Hydroxyurea. It has helped many symptoms to lessen. The itching pin prickly feeling is much less. I too don't like the heat. However, I'm told we can live a normal life span. We shoulg et daily exercise, but not when it is too hot. I go early morning or late afternoon. Or, go to the gym where it is air conditioned. I agree that we shd not eat much red meat. Best wishes, and hang in there.

universes1

• Posted

Hi Wayne. I as well am now getting to the end of many tests. Three more to go. I am being tested for what the Hemotologist thinks it's a secondary Polythermia. I do get a itchy burning sensation but it's off and on. I have two phlebotomy's where they take a unit of blood. At the moment the Hemotologist has requested no more until she has a firm diagnosis. I see her Feb. 12. I am only having a low dose aspirin per day and Vitamin B12 injections once a month. The aspirin has now been changed to a blood thinner because I had to go to emergency December 23rd. I was having trouble breathing. After some tests and cat scan it showed tiny little pea sized clots in my left lung. I feel much better now. Trouble with this is the thick blood which could cause a stroke or heart attack. It sure seems like so many tests but soon I will have a diagnosis and put on a treatment that will be for my own diagnosis. I will be glad to get on with things and know just what Inam dealing with. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hello, I'm also positive to jak2 my hematologist saying PV, had 4 blood draws so far, due to a blood clot in my liver and on warafin they have delayed the bone marrow biopsy.

I get the night sweats, pain in my left back (spleen) when I move or stand on my feet to long,

I can only eat half the portion (thats a positive).

I eat alot of red meat so will slow that down, actully I have taken a liking to salmon.

Waynne, I hope you find a way to cope with PV, I think we all can do with feedback on good ideas how to cope better.

I live in Australia so happy my work is in an air conditioning office,

• Posted

I am new to this forum. I am beyond happy to have stumbled across it. I asked a question and the quick answers back to me was so impressive. Nothing like talking and sharing with the ones that have the same blood disorder. In such a short time I have learned so much from the ones in this forum and from different countries. I am Canadian and have found out from this forum that the tests and treatments seem to be the same. Soon I will find out and looking forward to getting my last three tests out of the way. I have had so many tests so far. It's hard to get my head wrapped around why soooo many tests. Never been tested for anything like the tests this requires. I know know from this awesome forum to be patient and to find out this testing is normal. So I chose now to be patient and go with the flow. Will keep my new friends posted on my final steps of diagnosis.
    • Posted

Hey aswell as you i only found out about 'patient' about a week ago and tought id go through it and see is there much on poly. But yes its worth the tests in the end when you finally go on to actual treatment that helps with it im from ireland and i go to the main hospital for people under 18 and they said to me that im the only person in their records to have this condition because it is so rare in young people but they said to me that just from testing me there learning so much more than they ever did and it can help them in future if another child turns up with it which im a more than happy to help out because i dont mind needles or tests so i'd happy help them so they can help other people. I hope all your test goes quickly and smoothly smile
  • Posted

Jak2 is part of the explanation for this disease.  I am American and did not go

thru any tests as you describe.  Taking my symptons of nose bleeds and

DVTs the onocologist taking a lab of the blood which contains an element of

HCT this is used as a guide for the doctor to order blood letting (Phlebotomies)

As i stated in another of my replies I am doing well with the water, NO red meats

walking and baby aspirin.  Maybe overseas in Europe or Canada it is more complicated but I always prefer the simple approach. HCT stands for Hematacrit

I may have spelled that wrong.  Ask you doctor.  One needs blood lab work to determine what is going on with your blood which if the source of the Poly v.  Good luck!!

• Posted

What I find so astonishing is the rapid increase in the diagnosis of so many young people now afflicted with this disease.  Is this because of the increased awareness by the medical profession or from the research now in progress.  Some of the comments by sufferers here really do need further explanation.  Suggestions of an hereditary factor and of environmental effects have never, in my experience, been so realised.  From the kidney infection remarks this in an aspect I personally had never seen presented  before, but it makes a great deat of sense now.  Let us hope that those who can make a lasting difference to this uncomfortable complaint thoroughly read these comments by the patients and are able to take things forward to an effective cure, also suggested in this forum.  There does not seem to be a solid pattern emerging as most people are  affected in differing ways, but there is plenty of evidence to support the view that something needs quickly to be available to treat and reverse the apparent advancement of this disease.  As a long-time sufferer I wish all the contributors to this forum, a healthy future.
  • Posted

I agree Wayne! After several tests I was told my blood disorder looks like it could be Polycythaemia Ruba Vera. My response was "what is that?". Never heard of it. My family and close friends said the very same thing to me. What is that? After getting the Doctor to write it down so I could google it I would have been in the dark. I was simply told at the beginning "large red blood cells". I googled that at the very beginning of this in July. What I found on goggle was Macrocylosis. The treatment of choice was simply Vitamin B-12 injections which I am now having. As my symptoms unfolded and tests after tests now it could be Polycythaemia Vera. To date my tests are fine so my Doctor said "this is a mystery". That is when I was referred to a heamotologist. We don't have one in my city so had to drive to the nearest large health centre. More blood work was done. After she read all my test results she thinks what I may have is a secondary Poltcythemia. Therefore more tests. I go to the sleep apnea clinic tomorrow. This past Friday I saw a respirologist. I am booked for pulmonary testing next month and an ultra sound on my heart. After these results are in then there will be a diagnosis. I see her Feb. 12th however the pulmonary test is booked after my appointment with the heamotologist. Thanks to this forum I now know there are others with the same disease. I don't even share to others when they ask "why soooooo many treats? What are they looking for". Hard for me to answer because I didn't know myself. The main question I get asked is "what causes it". After joining this forum and reading some of the symptoms I think I have a good idea. I will keep everyone here posted as this unfolds to perhaps help any newcomers.
  • Posted

Forgot to mention my Jak2 came back negative. That has generated more testing an not being able to offer me as yet a final diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.