Polymyalgia and Diabetes

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone else got diabetes and they are on steroids my doctor keeps telling me I shouldn't be taking steroids as it's not good for me. What do I do then the Rheumatologist put me on them as I could hardly move before taking the steroids.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If you have PMR you will need steroids. They do have side effects, but that is no reason not to take them, I would be in a wheelchair on a one way trip to Switzerland without them. A lot of people have diabetes who take steroids, the diabetes just needs to be managed properly. What is your doctor suggesting you do, lie in bed in pain all day? I really do despair of some members of the medical profession sometimes. 
    • Posted

I did say to the gp if I don't take them I won't even be able to walk in fact I was very annoyed with him. He asked me questions like how long are you going to be taking them and was anyone doing a follow up on me. Why can't gp's read the dam notes from the hospital.
    • Posted

I like the "one way trip to Switzerland " - I bet that would have been a lot of our thoughts at the beginning of PMR.😊

Hope all is going well with you.

• Posted

The prednisone has given me diabetes also.  I take metformin to control it.  My preference is to control the PMG with the steroids and marginally put up with the diabetes.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Jackie. You don't say whether you are T1 or T2 (or T1.5) so the PMR itself and the steroid dose will probably affect you differently from me. I have T1 diabetes and was simply warned by the rheumy and my GP that the steroid would raise my BG and could cause stability difficulties. Luckily, I am very well used to adjusting my insulin and carbs pretty much on the fly to keep my BGs within pretty tight limits without seeking permission from anyone. For me, the PMR pain had already stressed me so much, my insulin doses had gone up about 75% over normal anyway. The steroid got rid of the PMR pain and on steroid commencement my doses dropped pretty quickly to about 50% over normal and kept dropping back to normal as the steroid dose slowly fell. I'm off corticosteroids now (over 2 years, fingers crossed).

Basically, you should arrange to see your hospital diabetes doc and/or the Diabetes Support Nurse, or get referred to your local hospital diabetes department, to help you manage your diabetes with the PMR treatment. If you are T2 then the way you manage it may be somewhat different from my own, but it should not put you off getting the PMR treated. I suspect you will need adjustment to any diabetes meds. The diabetes doctors and the DSN are there to help you. Just make sure they do.

• Posted

I am type 2 diabetic but am on the top scale of metformin and glycliaside my blood sugar vary from day to day usually between 6 and 9 I am seeing the rheumy in a couple of weeks so hopefully can get it sorted then. It's just my doctor didn't want to give me the steroids .
    • Posted

Jackie, if your rheumy has diagnosed you with pmr, they will know that presently the only course of treatment is to reduce the inflamation and that can only be achieved by steriods. By what you are saying your GP is acting unprofessionally against the  rheumys diagnosis. They must clarify why they will not prescribe the established drugs for your condition.

i would also contact your rheumys secretary. They need to know this without delay. And, I'm sorry if you feel it would make things uncomfortable between you and your GP but I would be submitting a complaint about their professional behaviour. Regards, tina

• Posted

My PCP, nor my Rheumatologist mentioned diabetes. I've been on at least 10mg. since last July, is that considered a long time ? I've gained allot of weight, & now have high blood pressure, & started BP medication a few weeks ago. Always had good BP & never this overweight, my appetite is 10-times what it was pre-prednisone.
  • Posted

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been on insulin for about 7yrs now. Metformin just wasn't controlling my BSLs. Life is much easier on insulin. When I started prednisone for my GCA/PMR my BSLs went up but easy to keep on top of with insulin. Been on prednisone since January and BSLs have settled down. My HBa1c is still a nice 6.2, so all is good. Maybe you need to see your diabetes nurse and discuss your control.  May be time for insulin...which, for me, was a godsend!
  • Posted

I know nothing about diabetes, but I do know that if you have PMR, pred is the ONLY thing that will give you some relief from the symptoms. I also know that plenty of people here have both conditions - the pred does in fact bring diabetes on in some people.

If your currenty GP won't prescribe you pred you need to find another Dr or go back to your rheumy straight away. You can't just stop taking pred! If you have someone who helps you manage your diabetes then they will know how to deal with the interactions with pred and your other medications and conditions.

• Posted

Your GP needs to find some compassion instead of scaring you. We all know Pred is "not good for us" Lord knows it's difficult enough for those of us who don't have other complications to deal with the side effects and the constant threat of what it "might" do to us in the long term. But there is no alternative for us. It's important to get the PMR inflammation under control. Next time he/she says that to you ask them to consult with your rheumy to discuss PMR. 
  • Posted

Jackie, no one wants to take preds, but we take them so we can continue having some degree of a good life. Unfortunately preds do have side effects and some of us are unlucky to suffer from some of them. You say you are type 2 diabetes, so you will knew w all about reducing carb intake. So, that is my advise, regulate your carb intake, and hopefully you'll see your blood sugars steadying. All the best, tina
  • Posted

Tell your GP that being in constant pain and unable to move is also not good for you or your diabetes.. Pred is the only answer at present to PMR and what is required is not uninformed comments of that sort but a bit of proactive management on his part.

You've already had some good advice from the others - and if it needs greater management than what you are already on you definitely need a referral to the diabetic clinic and experts bit a GP who obviously isn't interated.

I'd be inclined to look for a better GP to be honest if that's all he can offer. And I'd put in a complaint to the practice manager. I have every sympathy with over-worked GPs - but this is his job. 

• Posted

"and experts bit a GP who obviously isn't interated"

and experts NOT a GP who obviously isn't interested

Sorry - sun shining in my eyes ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.