Polyp found during colonscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a colonscopy yesterday and one polyp about 8mm was found in the sigmoid colon.  My sister has bowel cancer and is being treated at the moment.  He removedit by endomucosal resection. I am worried now in case it shows cancer cells.  Will get results in two weeks time, there is no follow up but need to have another one in 5 yrs. The procedure went well and he said the bowel preparation was good. I had sedation and did not know anything and felt nothing at all until it was over. No further investigations are proposed but what if the result come back showing cancer cells.  Am I being worried unnecessary?  Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just wait for the results, and then call the Gastroenterolgist if you have further questions.
  • Posted

I am praying for a good out came for you. I wold have thought if it was cancerous they would have know and told you there and then.when I went they said I would have tell me if they saw cancer. Again I wish you and your sister the best of luck.
  • Posted

Did the results come back yet? Just wondering. I had precancerous polyps but they were removed and was advised to come back in 2 years for a new colonoscopy
    • Posted

Not had the results yet.  I am a bit worried about precancerous polyps but feel more re-assured after reading your post that no drastic treatment need to be taken immediately just monitor. I have a family history of bowel cancer.  The colonscopy itself went well as if I did not have any procedure at all.  In my report it says in 5 years but I guess it depends on what they find.
    • Posted

I have a family history of that as well. I admit, when I heard the word cancer nothing else filtered in my brain for months. I am a widow, with one daughter still young. It freaked me out. But 2 years later I am still healthy and here, no issues. :-) 
    • Posted

My as well was all clear . Nest one in 7 years. They did find two like skin tags that can turn into diverticulitis so I have to do a fiber deit. I will take that over cancer any day.
    • Posted

Spoke to GP this morning results not back yet two weeks tomorrow.  Asked whether I should be concerned she said probably not I would have heard if the did find something sinister.  They do send polyps to the lab as a routine I did not ask as I did notread the report until I got home.  I was relief when she said everythig is ok except one polyp was removed. How many scopes have you had?  I read it can takupto 10 yrs for one to turn into cancer.  My sister had rectal bleeding for 6 months they could find anything on her first colonscopy and was told to come back in 6 months which she did not.  She returned in 12 months after suffering from serious rectal bleeding and they found invasive cancer.  She had an op but no bags and is undergoing chemo by tablets.  I do not know what the future holds for her as I do not think she can complete her chemo as her bloods tests are not very good.  I do have the bowel screening every two yrs as am over 65ys but you are too young or that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.