Polyps /Fibroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can Polyps /Fibroids cause a menopause woman to have break through bleeding?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No. Not that I'm aware of but ask your doctor.

• Posted

I mean yes, you can bleed but not like a period. Sorry I should have clarified that.
  • Posted

Hi Carolrd,

Actually, they can cause bleeding after menopause. Some of the most common causes of abnormal bleeding during menopause include:

Atrophy or thinning of the tissue lining the vagina and uterus, as well as Polyps or fibroids. Even Infection of the uterus, the use of blood thinners or anticoagulants can cause bleeding.  So, might be a good idea to check with your doctor.  It's not so unusual.  I have a close friend that has fought with fibroids for years...even through pregnancy, and now through meno...only reason I know for sure.

• Posted

forgot to mention polyps too...friend had/has both...I wish you luck!!
    • Posted

I have actually had the polyp issue myself...and that was taken care of by my own doctor...does that qualify?

• Posted

Imagine my surprise...after my complete hyst, and had bleeding...it was a polyp...LOL
    • Posted

Thanks Deidra. Carol has investigative surgery booked for tomorrow for post meno bleed and is worrying herself silly over what it can be. We know we can't diagnose but a little reassurance will help her on the day.

• Posted

Well, not diagnosing, just responed.  But, it sounds like she will be fine, as it is not that unusual.  The friend I mentioned, had a 6 pound fibroid, and was pregnant at the same time...carried both at the same time!!!  They were afraid the baby was not going to get the nutrients she needed, but thankfully it all worked out.  She just graduated college, and is brilliant! So, things will work out for Carol too!  Tell her not to worry!!  I will keep her in my prayers!!

• Posted

btw...they could not remove my friend's fibroid, as it was attached to one side of her uterus, she would have not been able to have her second baby, so she had both babies with this fibroid!!!  Her second baby was a boy...and he just graduated from high school!!  smile

And her fibroid is still in there, they will remove it at some point soon, she is in her early 50's now, and of course will not be having anymore babies.  LOL  She is in her peri-meno now.

• Posted

Thanks Deidra I'm sure she will appreciate your prayers. Glad your friend is doing well. I have a 3cm fibroid and mutiple small causing heavy periods and clotting. Not post meno yet. Considering hysterectomy but scared of the recovery and being thrown into menopause.

• Posted

Ok...so I think I came late to the dance.  LOL  Sorry, straighten me out here, we don't know for sure what Carol has, or not, they will take a look see tomorrow to find out then?  She is just worrying, and does not yet know?  I am sorry, I thought she was asking about the fibroids and polyps, because that is what she has.  My apologies, it's late here in the U.S., time for bed!

• Posted

She has bleeding now, and nothing for 14 months before. Good night.
    • Posted

Ah, ok...so not out of the question right?  Seems I have read a lot of women have posted many, many months, years, without periods, then have bleeding.  My Mom went 2 years, then started bleeding again.  Had a DNC? and was fine after.  My husband had to carry her into the ER she was bleeding so bad...just would not stop, was awful!

Thanks!!  Good Night!

• Posted

"Imagine my surprise...after my complete hyst, and had bleeding...it was a polyp" How is that possible when they took everythng out?

• Posted

Along the vaginal wall, he said, he found a polyp on the left side, but I had been such a mess inside, with endometriosis...(sp), and he had to do so much burning and cauterizing, it was everywhere, bottom of my lungs, on my bladder, my lower back...he said it was the worse case he had ever seen.  This was back in 1982.  I could not say "exactly" where he found it...but I was bleeding, and he said that was what it was...all I remember is it was along the vaginal wall, up high is where he said it was.  It was extremely painful during intercourse with my hubby, so I went immediately back to my doctor, and he fixed me right up. 

• Posted

nope...not at all.  just a polyp, they just put me under a little bit, because it was so far up, so I didn't know a thing, and it was over with in just minutes, and the bleeding stopped within 24 hours.  I have been fine ever since. 

Have you had your test yet today?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.