Pool walking

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have had two tkr 6 weeks apart. Next week I can get into the pool. Has the pool helped your ROM? I did it before and it helped my bad arthritic knees. Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm starting a therapy pool next week but from experience with my hip replacement, the pool is FANTASTIC!!!  You can do all the exercises without them being weight bearing.  Rehabbed the hip in six weeks (6 days a week, five hours a day in a therapy pool and gym).  But don't expect that time frame with the knee.  This is a looooong recovery.  Push the knee and it swells.  The pool will be great.

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx, I am excited for the pool. Hope all is well for you.
  • Posted

Hi Jen...you are a brave soldier....no I don't have access to a pool but will check out places where I may get some treatment with water.

It sounds as though you are doing very well.  When I hear about a double TKR, I can't imagine both my knees feeling the way my one knee feels now.

Happy healing,

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your kind words. It has been a long haul but we all do our best I think. I can't wait to get back to the pool . Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Jen, I am 8 weeks po from RTKR and wasn't aware that the pool is an option. I will definitely ask about it.  Can I ask you if there was any difference when you had the second knee replaced? Was it easier, worse or the same?  My first 2 1/2 weeks were awful. Even with that behind me I am going to ask my doctor if I can have the left one done soon. That way, hopefully, I can recover and be done with surgeries this year instead of dragging them out.  

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, 😃

The first knee has taken longer to recover when compared to the second one. The first knee was messed up more then the. Second knee. Just today on the second knee replacement, the physical therapist said I reached full extension on the second knee I had done. The first knee is 2 degrees away from full extension soon. The physical therapist said the pool will really help me as I continue to transist to walking normally and fixing my gait. I am glad j had my knees done 6 weeks apart. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I found the pool very helpful. Not only is it great for learning to walk normal, I would get out in the deep end and tread warer, moving my legs like I was on a bicycle. I didn't find swimming laps as helpful, as some of those movements were a bit painful. But it's such a nice change of routine.

• Posted

Thank you! I am excited to have my walk become more normal.
    • Posted

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm not a lover of swimming but I don't mind treading water. There is a Y nearby and I will check it out. I will also ask them at PT where I could get water therapy. I am going to start a 1 mile walk from a video I have. My doctor wants me to walk a mile everyday. It's too hot here to walk outside and I'm still nervous about cracks on pavement. If I walk to video in house, I won't have to use a cane. Thanks again for great advice.

• Posted

I hear you about the heat. Walking with an indoor video sounds good. The pool, even better. Good luck, Marilyn.

-Mo

• Posted

I too am a lover of the pool! I would strongly suggest using a floatation belt and working in the deep end. Bicycle movements,climb the big stairs, act like you're sitting in a chair and do knee extensions.  Keep your foot position in mind too, do some with toes pointed and others with toes up.  Another more complicated move (warning may cause pain) is from the sit position do circles from the knee like you're stirring. Overall concentrate on what would be "normal" movements on land.  You're definitely getting after your recovery - You go girl!

• Posted

Hi folks

Im a member of a gym and theres a pool around 1 metre deep. I walk,forwards and backwards,long strides and float on my back and use my legs in a cycling movement. Do some lengths of the pool swimming but ONLY crawl,not breast stroke. Read somewehere you shouldnt. Course,you can do breast stroke but arms only. I think its good for you. Ive a book about TKR and it reccomends pool therapy. Whole chapter devoted to it.

• Posted

Yes, pool walking is the best exercise for knees and hips. I am a certified water aerobics instructor. I had 2 hip replacements and now my left knee is hurting . I have had injection 1 a week for 5 weeks a year ago. I cannot walk outside but the water walking really helps me physically and mentally. Listen to music also helps walking in the pool more enjoyable. Hope this advice helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.