Positive ANA with only Hasimoto's?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am diagnosed hypothyroid and with Hashimoto's disease.  I have been on Levothyroxine now for 3 years and my levels are now in normal range.  But I am still constantly tired ALL the time, swollen anterior lymph nodes for 10 months and constsnt low grade fever for 10 months.  My mother and Aunt both have Lupus.  Which is why I tested for it.  My ANA is positive, but didn't have the levels tested.  Just siad positive.  But my RA factor and crp is normal.  Could I still have Lupus?  What other test should I have?    Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor

RA Latex Turbid. 10.9

IU/mL

0.0 - 13.9

C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac

mg/L

0.00 - 3.00

ANA

ANA Direct   Positive Abnormal

Anti-DNA (DS) Ab Qn <1 iu/ml="" 0="" -="" 9="" i="" also="" had="" a="" iron="" panel="" done="" which="" all="" came="" back="" normal. ="" but="" i="" took="" iron="" for="" before="" my="" test. ="" not="" sure="" if="" that="" matters="" or="" not. ="" i="" usually="" test="" a="" little="" low. ="" i="" didn't="" know="" you="" wern't="" suppose="" to="" eat="" things="" with="" iron="" before="" test. ="" anyway, ="" i="" also="" tested="" low="" for="" alkaline="" phosphatase,="" s ="" at="" 32="" low="" for="" a="" range="" of="" 39="" to="" 117. ="" not="" sure="" of="" the="" significance? ="" i="" also="" get="" nausous="" everytime="" i="" eat. ="" my="" urinalisis="" showed:="" epithelial="" cells="" (non="" renal)="">10 Abnormal

0 - 10

Mucus Threads Present

Bacteria Few

WBC Esterase Trace Abnormal

Not sure if this is signifant?

Any advice on were to go from here or what other test I may need would be appreciated.  I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired...lol.  Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey sweetmelissa,

I too have Hashimoto's Disease and had my thyroid removed a little over a year ago. At the time they biopsied my thyroid after removing I only had microscopic colitis....now I have asthma, inflammatory arthritis ( which they think is RA but test was neg)  and have had a rash on my chest, back and stomach for almost a year now. The thing about Hashi is it invites all kinds of auto ammune conditions in at any time and they say once your thyroid function gets normal there is less chance. Mine is still not normal, has been hyper since thyroid removed so I am so blessed with all the new syndrones hitting me and I am now on plaquenil and methrotrexate so hoping they work. Good luck in finding a diagnosis, they may do an ultra sound on wherever your feeling arthritis symptoms, thats how mine got dx...there was fluid around my knuckles and hardned tendons....good luck!

• Posted

Thank you Patti.. yes, I am certain there is something else wrong with me.  Right at this moment , well for the past 2 weeks I have all of the sudden started to feel better.  My lymph nodes went down and my low grade fever went away along with the fautige.  I am scared to pursue other test if I am not in A "flare up" right now because I read that if your not in a flare up then the test may come up negative.  So I am going to wait until and if my problems come back.  Thank you for the information Patti.  I appreciate you taking the time to giving some answers.  I felt horrible for about 10 months.  I am so happy I feel better at the moment.  Not 100%, but I hope I will get there.  I hope you are feeling better now that you are on the right medications and I hope you continue to feel better!  Thank you.
    • Posted

Yay! Im so happy for you and yes...wait until and if another flare up or test will be off. Good Luck!
  • Posted

People with lupus often have a positive ANA, but a positive ANA doesn't mean you have lupus. It's also possible to have some level of ANAs present, but suffer from no autoimmune conditions or symptoms. Generally, the older you get, the more likely it is for an ANA test to return positive, even without autoimmunity present.

However, there is a higher risk of eventually developing lupus if there is a family history of the condition and an ANA test is positive. It'd be wise to keep an eye on this and test again for ANA, C-reactive protein, and sed rate if you start experiencing any symptoms. Normal CRP and ESR tend to rule out systemic conditions like lupus because they show that inflammation isn't present.

• Posted

Thanks mjaxx.  That helps me to understand better what may have been going on.  I was wondering why my other test where within normal range.  I do have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroidis already.  I read that that within inself can cause a positive ana but usually only in low tithers around 40 or so.  Not sure what mine were, only know that it only comes up positive if 120 or higher.  So, I'm a little on edge because I read the if you have one autoimmune disease that you are likely to acquire more.  Thank you, you have helped put my mind on ease.  I am feeling better now anyway...  Thank you mjaxx!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.