positive P anca

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been referred to a rheumologist with joint pains, flare ups of all over pain, low grade fever and fatigue.  She suspects rheumatoid arthritis or possibly lupus and I am awaiting results of further tests. My initiatial blood tests are positive for ANA, inflamatory markers are raised, however I have also tested postive for p ANCA, which my doctor did not explain but through my own research I understand that this test is used to diagnose vasculitis? I had not heard of this before and to be honest what I have read on line is fairly scary.  I would really appreciate it if someone knows if this result always means that you have vasculitis and if so what this really means ? I am due to see my rheumatologist in a couple of weeks but not knowing driving me crazy and I am really worried.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed a with GPA after a postive ANCA test.....likliehood is you have vasculitis......

This is direct from the web.....

What does a positive ANCA test mean?

Tests for antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) may be used to: Help detect and diagnose certain forms of autoimmune vasculitis, including granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener granulomatosis), microscopic polyangiitis, and eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg Strauss syndrome).

• Posted

Hi Philtw, thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. My Rheumatologist hasn't mentioned vasculitis at all and seems to be going done the Early Rheumatoid arthritis route for diagnosis.  I just happened to see the postive PANCA test result on her letter and googled it so was rather shocked when vasculitis came up, so I really need to clarify all this at my next appointment.  Do you know if the symptoms of vasculitis are similar to early rheumatoid arthritis?
    • Posted

Sypmtons for me were joint pain in fingers and feet.....night sweats, loss of appetite, (loss of 8kgs in a couple of months), lesions on my elbows.....

steriods ar eused to control it with imuran to maintain it.....i have also had rituximab to give kill the bad cells....

i was on 60mgs of steriods but two years later i have reduced to to 6mgs of steroids, but not sure if its returning

• Posted

Thanks for replying .... I have mainly joint pains and low grade fever, but no weight loss.  Glad to hear the medications seem to have helped you although they sound pretty toxic. All the best and hope it doesn't flare up again.
    • Posted

Hi I'm just wondering how you are getting on and what was the diagnosis ?

• Posted

Bro my mom is suffering from vasculitis ... Doctor said shez havin kidney failure so we did a renal biospy in that we found ANA and P ANCA present...

She had arthretis for couple of years

Doctor said its very tough to bring her back..

shez also having pulmonary edema

Now doctors are giving tigibax antibiotics to her and they are doing dialysis daily... Her leg fingers discoloured so doctor said we have to cut the fingers... Now shez is ventilator for past 7 dayz so she has to get out from it so aftr dat we have to thnk about that doctor said

I dont know what to do plz help me

• Posted

Hello,

I am a nurse with a child that has this POS result and investigating it myself.

Can do that with the medical information but would like to talk to some

patients who have been down this diagnostic road. Please email me.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sherry

• Posted

I was recently diagnosed with Anca vasculitis and was in so much pain until I was put on prednisone and  had Rituxan infusions. The pain is gone and I am weaning off the prednisone. Hang in there it will get better when they get the right diagnosis.  It took several years for me to get a Dr.  who ran the right tests to diagnose it right. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.