Possibility of MS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay, so, the soonest I can see a Neurologist isn't going to be until a month and a half from now, and I'm just anxious to try and figure out as much as I can about what could be going on with me. 

The original reason I was referred to see a neurologist was because of chronic headaches, both migraine and tension related. But, I was also seeing a urologist about an issue I was having that caused me to have to push to pee, and cause me to be in the bathroom for ten minutes or more just trying to empty my bladder. I didn't think it was anything serious (this started in high school I think and it's only been annoying), but I wanted to know if it was fixable or potentially anything serious. As it turns out, I have bladder sphincter dyssynergia. I was happy at first, because I had a name for it, and I was given a medication to try and see if it helped, but... when I got home, I looked into the disorder, and it turns out that it's caused by a disconnect somewhere along the nervous system. It's rare to see it in people who haven't suffered a spinal injury, or who don't have MS or some other myelin issue. I've never been in any sort of situation that could lead to spinal damage... I do have issues with back pain, and a chiropractor informed me that the spine in my neck is straight instead of curved and could be scoliosis, but I wasn't sure if that would count as a spinal injury or not. 

Anyway, I was reading into the different causes, and it looks like MS is at the very least a strong possibility, and I want to be prepared to accept it if it turns out to be the case. I just wanted to run some of my information past you guys and see what you think.

Other symptoms: Frequent headaches, ache and tension radiating from the back of the neck and base of the skull, sensitivity to heat and sunlight, chronic fatigue, inner ear & equilibrium issues, easily motion sick, poor vision and occasional vision spasms where my eyes will feel all strange and I'll have to blink a few times to focus them again, recurring numbness in the left leg that comes and goes, pain and numbness if the left arm when I sneeze, back pain, I walk with a limp (I thought it was from a severely sprained ankle that never fully healed), generalized anxietydisorder, clinical depression, and I also talk with a lisp, but I think that's just the shape of my mouth. 

Anyway, please let me know what you think. I'd like to be informed.

-Attila

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thankfully, I do not have as many painful symptoms as you, but I remember MS being the first possibility when I reported a strange "hesitancy" when it came to peeing.  I never got as far a definite name for it like you did--just a lady-like hestiancy (didn't feel lady-like; it was so frustrating! And I started trying to drink more water, until I realized that didn't make the ability to release the floodgates work). But it was when I was in the MS clinic in 1999, that I first read the symptom "hesitancy", and felt more sure that it was related to MS.

• Posted

I should be more specific--I didn't realize that the "ability to release the flood gates" was a neurological function--not a muscular one. So pushing didn't really apply when it came to urine.  The muscles didn't work until the brain sent the signal.

• Posted

Hi Treezie, 

I have been experiecing urges to go pee, but when I do go, I do pee a lot and there is no colour (maybe i drink a lot of water)? I do pee at night too! I am scared that I am having early MS symptoms...other than that my right leg has some kind of weird sensation...(not really pin and needle but maye a mile form of it)

What is the meaning of hesitancy to pee? meaning you are not able to get the pee out from the bladder? Have you experienced having the urge to go pee? 

• Posted

Hesitancy is the feeling that you have to go pee, and yet when you reach a toilet, the bladder will not release anything.  After a few months of this, I got an MRI and then the problem was no matter how much water I drank, I didn't get accurate messages from my bladder of how full it was.  So suddenly in some cases, I couldn't hold it in time to get to a toilet.  Eventually it has all evened out.  Now I cannot ignore the feeling that I have to go pee--I should try to pass water regularly even it if is not a lot. Now years after my dx I cannot ignore any slight indication that I might have to go pee, during the night, or I cannot sleep comfortably.

When I used to go camping, oh then it was horrible--I would get to a bathroom and nothing would happen until I had left the bathroom far behind! So, no more camping!

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you have to bear such suffer!!! But dont they have medication to control the bladder problem?

So with that situation, you will have to go to the washroom every so often to make sure the pee wont come out all of a suddent. 

I feel bad for you..Maybe you can try some medication to control it?

• Posted

The good news...

If it is MS..sounds like it would be the slower progressing one.

I wish you luck on your MRI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.