Possible Adrenal Insufficiency and taking Levothyroxine? Need Help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I already posted a question but can't seem to find answers. 

28 year old female. 

I have been feeling extremely sick lately and nothing seems to make me feel better. A Year ago when I used to exercise everyday I used to feel really tired and unusual afterwards, Out of a sudden I would feel severe spinning in my head, like a fainting episode with tunnel vision and sweating, headache, nausea and dizziness - then I would stop exercising and have to lay down because I would feel extremely tired. Back then it used to happen only when I exercised, Now this episodes happens everyday (even without exercising). Simply going to a supermarket and walk a bit I would feel like I'm going to faint, sudden sweating, giddiness and can't balance, headache, nausea and  I would feel like I need to urine suddenly, after I urine I would feel a bit better.. Giddiness would stop only if I lay down or rest my head backwards... Can't seem to find and answer from anyone. My Gp said there is nothing wrong with my ear balance or blood pressure. Went to the ER and they did an Echo and ECG and all seem fine. Now they booked me for a Holter monitor. Other symptoms I have are, weight gain (without ever losing a pound with strict diet and exercise), hair loss, irritability, depression, constipation, elevated blood cholesterol level, can't seem to concentrate, brain fog etc. 

I also have Hashimoto's and PCOS and taking 25/50 Levo and Globifer Forte with Vitamin C. 

Some tests I did a month ago: 

Tsh = 5.974 (0.3. - 3.0) H 

Free t4 = 14.49 (11-18) 

Ferritin = 39 (10-291) 

Heamoglobin = 15 (14-17) 

Vitamin b12 = 401.0 (156-672) 

Am cortisol = 531 (119-618) 

Could all these episodes be caused because I'm taking Levo and have a possible adrenal insufficiency? I did a blood test 2days ago for TSH, T4, FT3 and ACTH test but I will not have any results in 2 weeks. 

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm just over a dizzying episode myself.  It's not entirely good yet, but I hope that my doctor's suggestion to increase the cortisol will balance all again. 

?I'm not sure about your Levothyroxine - does it have T3 and T4?  That also is critical.

?Balancing Thyroid and adrenals is no easy matter.

• Posted

It sounds familiar - dizziness, brain fog, unable to concentrate, weight gain without eating much, strange kind of headache.  And doctors telling you that there is nothing wrong. 

?Not until my adrenal glands were treated with medication did these symptoms disappear and my old weight came back without me putting in any effort. 

?I can't tell you anything about numbers, I simply never asked for them after tests. But of what I know today is that thyroid needs to be in balance with adrenal glands. 

?Do you also often get sick when there is some kind of flue bug flying around for instance, or are you sensitive to bacterial infections perhaps? 

?I changed medication for the thyroid and that was helpful as well.  And now I read below that I have responded to your message earlier.  Nevermind, in addition then.  Meanwhile I'm doing a little better with increased coref/hydrocortisol. 

• Posted

My endocrinologist told me that the only way to find out if your adrenals are working properly is to have the AC t h stimulation test. Because I had cortisol test that my general practitioner and and sometimes they were normal and sometimes they weren't. Come to find out after the ACTH stimulation test I have severe adrenal insufficiency. I don't know if you've had this test but I would highly recommend it so you can have some answers. Best wishes.

• Posted

I have been struggling with adrenal gland deficiency

My cortisol levels seriously low. What do you do for treatment. Thanks for your input

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.