possible cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

Long story short....Last week I was diagnosed with SCC1 on my vulva. its at 6 o'clock (perineum) and was spotted by a nurse who did my smear test. Anyway, I've prepared myself for a partial vulvectomy though I've refused treatment until I get back from my long planned holiday. I arrive back on the 14th May.

In the mean time they've been doing a load of other tests. Yesterday I had an ultrasound and the technician told me I had a small cyst on my left ovary but it was a (I think she said) "simple cyst" and nothing to worry about. There was something in her voice that concerned me though...perhaps my intuition is just at an all time high.

I got a phone call from my GP at 9pm last night. She'd recieved the scan report which says I have an 8mm thick lining to part of the womb and to the base of my right falopian tube. She reassured me that this is not neccessarily cancer but to be sure she is making me an urgent appointment but it could take up to 2 weeks sad

It dawned on me this morning that they will have to go in to take biopsies or I'm thinking they may just want to do a hysterectomy I'm in my 50s and so having a hysterectomy isn't a problem. Then I started wondering, if they think it could be cancer they will probably want to do an abdominal one and the thought of that is getting me stressed out.

Is there anyone here who had a womb investigation for ominous reasons? and if so, what was the procedure?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have to have a hysteroscopy soon as my womb lining was 11 mm thick and I have a irregular lining too.this can check for anything.mri detected what they think is a endometrial clot but hysteroscopy will confirm.good luck xxx
  • Posted

Hi there, I was diagnosed with stage 1A cancer almost 2 years ago and i had a LAVH or laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy (very grand sounding) so dont assume that you will have to have a full abdominal hyst you may not (sorry the word assume sounds really abrupt its not meant to), I was also told that the lining of my uterus was thickened, from getting diagnosed to having my op was just 2 weeks but then I had alsmost bled to death in the month leading up to it so perhaps that was why, please don't leave it too long.
    • Posted

Hi Phoebe. Did you have lymph nodes removed? If so, did you eventually feel normal again? I just want to have some vigor and energy back and know this will pass. In my mind I know it. My body hasn't quite caught up. I have to remind myself, though, that I had two difficult surgeries in 3 months.
  • Posted

Hi Jan

Due to fibroids and the start of peri menopause a year I started to take HRT with a coil to be fitted. However, the GP was unable to fit the coil. I had such a horrid experience that I did not return. However, about 4 weeks ago I needed to get more HRT and it was the same GP who tried to fit the coil. She referred me to the hospital. I received a letter re an appointment for 21st April. I then received a call 3 wks ago asking me to attend for a scan. I had fibroids and cysts. 5 days after the scan on a Friday evening I had a call from the hospital asking me to attend to see gynea on the Monday. I thought the absolute worst that the scan had revealed cancer. My fibroids had grown etc and a hysterectomy was recommend. I was told that it would be 6-8 wait. Last Tuesday the hospital asked me to attend Weds for pre op tests. Again I panicked as I had the surgery yesterday. A full hysterectomy. All has gone well although I'm in pain. Please try not to worry. I was told that they probably had a cancellation. Regards Sandy

• Posted

I am going in for a hysterectomy next week. My problems started with a large ovarian cyst but I have abnormalities in the muscle of the womb (possibly adenomyosis) but have very thick uterus lining too. Although I'm having a big op, with ovaries, tubes and cervix being removed too, they don't seem overly concerned about cancer. I've waited quite a few weeks for my op which I take as a good sign. Although quick time phone calls can seem scary the flip side is you know you're not stuck in someone's inbox. Enjoy your holiday and I hope things get sorted for you quickly.

• Posted

Well I had two hystcopey s before I had a hysterectomy I'm also 50 I know it's not easy try not to worry yourself as it could be normal I had a hysterectomy in the end to prevent cancer as I kept bleeding irregularly hope you OK have a nice holiday x
  • Posted

I haven't posted in awhile but I will fill you in here. I had a large 21 cm ovarian cyst suspicious for malignancy. I had an open surgery total take it all out hysterectomy. At first they thought it was benign. Then further testing revealed low grade serous carcinoma. I went back for a staging surgery where 39 lymph nodes and my omentum was removed. This procedure was much worse than the hysterectomy.vthey took out 29 lymph nodes and my omentum. It feels awful. I wish I hadn't done the staging operation. Honestly the hysterectomy is not a big deal. First week is rough. Each week gets better. My nodes and everything else were all negative for cancer so it was contained to my ovary. Anyone else have difficulty recovering from a lymph staging for I carian cancer? Do you ever feel normal?
  • Posted

Hi Jan I had a TAH last June, im 63 x started the change at 48 I had'nt had a period for nearly 14 yrs then had a bleed on and off for 2 yrs till I went to drs. Was sent for scan x hysteroscopy within 2 wks.was diagnosed at stage 1a , had my op 2wks later by this time I was stage 1b , I had every thing taken away plus some of the muscle x tissue surrounding ,had 3mm thickening off walls x large fibroids then had 3 radium treatments as a prec

aution thankfully when they looked at what they

had taken away there were no cancerous cells lef

t. I was really lucky had my op with no complicati

ons (although I have heart failure x diabetis) x wa

s home in 5 days best thing I ever had done

Hope you have a good outcome.

• Posted

Thank you all of you for responding to my post.

Michelle, my doctor said it could be endometrial but because I already have a stage 1 squamous cell carcinoma, and because SCC is often a secondary, they will be overly cautious. I hope your hysterectomy goes well.

Phoebe, its good to know you had a 'V' hysterectomy. I've only had a very small amount of bleeding and suspected it had come from my SCC and not my womb. Sorry you had to go through the big C but I must say, you sound very positive smile

Glad your operation went well Sandy. Are they or have they done biopsies on what was removed?

Thanks Lesley, I'm determined to enjoy my holiday! Yes, late night phone calls aren't good for the nerves but like my husband says, at least they have you on the right conveyor belt.

I hope your op comes around soon and that you bounce back quickly.

Hi Caroline, now I'm reading all about a 'hystcopey'. In and out the same day means I could have that before I go on holiday. On second thoughts, maybe I should have it when I come back!.

virginias, you've been through so much. Like you, I'm having my lymph nodes removed when I have my PV. Do you suffer edema in the legs? I'm glad you have said about staging surgery. I may not need a hysterectomy but if I do, I'll ask them to do the PV and hysterectomy at the same time. I've been told I will need at least six weeks off work for the PV.

Thanks Susan, you sound really positive. Its a good job you had surgery as quickly as you did. Do they think you had rapid cell change or do you think they just biopsied 1a's but missed the 1b's? I've been told that stage 1a can take a long time to become stage b.

Once again, thank you all. Apart from my husband, I haven't told my family or friends about what's going on. I know I have to but until I do, its good to talk to other women who've been through or are waiting to go through a similar procedure.

• Posted

I'm not suffering from edema exactly though I know someone who experienced this. I have a numb and sore left hip. My hip joints are very uncomfortable. My pelvis area is sore to the touch, even a shower feels uncomfortable and I remind myself to breathe and stop gritting my teeth. It is very slowly improving. Anyone else have comments on pelvic lymph node removal?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Virginias...

My gynochologist has said they will test my nearest glands (Bartholin glands) whilst I'm in surgery and make a decision from there. I've redied myself to have the lot removed because anything other than that will be a bonus.

If you don't mind me asking, how long is it since you had this done ? and were you warned of the side affects prior to surgery?

• Posted

One month. I was told to be fully recovered from the first surgery and that the second recovery could be more difficult, all in very vague terms.bi was told they needed to do it so they would know how to treat me. I didn't hesitate. . . I figured he knew a lot more than I knew. I was also shocked by a cancer diagnosis.
    • Posted

The hysterectomy recovery isn't bad after the first week. There is progress everyday. This second procedure, for Mr, progress has been by week, perhaps by months...I am going to start swimming again in a week. I hope life chi starts flowing then. The thing about biopsy during surgery is that they are not always accurate. I had biopsy during first surgery that came back negative. On closer examination they decided that it was positive. In any case good luck and keep me posted.
    • Posted

Good luck to your treatment glad I had a hysterectomy as it could have lead to something worse best of luck
  • Posted

oops I meant gynecologist and side effects.

I really should proof read before posting rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.