possible colon cancer?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had loose stools and diarrhea for the past 3 months. Not much pain though. I was tested positive for a wbc count in stool. Any advice???

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Bryan, you need to push for a colonoscopy or at least a blood test to establish the CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) level.  The sooner you do this, he sooner you mind will be relieved or, if it is the worst case, the easier it is to deal with.
  • Posted

That's right. Base on my experience in waited first 6 months before going to doctor as I'm having blood in stool/diarrhea/thin stools and abdominal pain. Then I ask for colonoscopy/blood test /ultrasound and ctscan and all came back normal. The reason of bleeding Is hemmorhiod. So for your peace of mind ask for the following test
    • Posted

I have my colonoscopy /endoscopy on Monday and am freaking out about the procedure!
  • Posted

Tinmothy hi, i hope thisgs are working out well for you. this isn't a 'nice' question! You describe loose stools and diarrhoea, can you be any more specific. Mine starts fairly normally but often ends in a 'cowpat' last part. Is that what you mean by diarrhoea, or is it more runny. 

Not a very nice question but having difficulty trying to work out if my symptoms might be relevant or just a more general digestive system weakness.

Anyone else with similar symptoms would be great to hear from you. Sorry to ask such a touchy question but I don't want to take risks.

• Posted

Well in the morning it is more solid, then more loose later. I go about 4 to 5 times a day. Blood test was normal and so was the fecal occult blood test was negative. I don't really have much stomach pain, just and occasional discomfort but after bowel movement it goes away..
    • Posted

Should I be worried about the complications of getting a endoscopy and colonocopy?
    • Posted

Hi Timothy. No I am not a doctor but I don't believe you need worry, I had a colonoscopy a few years ago. It is a little uncomfortable but not painful and I was told complications are very rare.

Thanks for answering me and good luck with your progress, let us know how it is going.

• Posted

I've now had colonoscopies on two occasions, the first found my cancer and the second, post treatment, showed that all is clear.  There were no problems on either occasion.  It is normal to be offered the choice of sedation or entonox gas when the procedure is carried out.  I chose entonox on both occasions but didn't really need to use it.  The advantages of entonox are a much more rapid recovery time and the ability to be aware of what is going on - including watching the progress of the procedure on the screen.  It is very much a personal choice, though.  The only down side of the procedure is the need to have a remarkably aggressive laxative prior to the test.  When taking this, do not stray too far from the loo!

The other half of an endoscopy session is a gastroscopy examination, the camera this time being inserted through the mouth.  Again there are options, in this case sedation or a local anaesthetic.  I went for the latter, again because the post test reovery time is shorter.  There were no problems although there was some slight discomfort as the camera was passing the voice box, nothing to worry about though.

• Posted

I have Diverticulosis which was diagnosed 5 years ago during a routine 5 year check up. I have not had any issues until right after new years this year. I had abdominal pain(cramps) on my left side off and on from my groin to rib cage and back, constipation mostly but some diarrhea, no blood in stooll. My doctor said she thought it was a mild flare up and had me go to a liguid diet to give my system a chance to relax. She ordered some bloodwork labs that came back normal and also ordered a CT scan to rule out anything else. It's been about a 5 weeks now and for the most part the symptoms have gone except for an occasional mild pain / cramp around the midpoint of my left side. I was wondering if any of you had experienced a pain that comes and goes mostly while I'm sitting, but occasionally when I stand. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 3/17 but my mind is getting the best of me, until then to rule out colon cancer.
  • Posted

Any ideas about having a colonoscopy / endoscopy at a ambulatory surgery center. Good idea or no?
    • Posted

David that doesn't sound to my untrained ear like bowel trouble unless you have a significant and persistent change in bowel passing. Don't know Timothy but surely should be ok, not heard of any issues.

Just a thought. I eat plain boiled rice and It has made a positive difference to my bowel habit. Much more regular and 'well formed'. Took about three days initially but since then results been excellent. I read it as a dietary tip on another forum and confirmed on some of the 'reputable' BMA sites. If anyone tries it treat it as ten days medication, one portion a day. It might not work for everyone but has really helped me. Maybe helps explain why Chinese have very low bowel cancer rates!

• Posted

Has anyone ever had a fecal Calprotectin Stool test? I just had one and my level was <16 . that is considered to be normal. so it rules out bid, should i still go through with the colonoscopy ? .="" that="" is="" considered="" to="" be="" normal.="" so="" it="" rules="" out="" bid,="" should="" i="" still="" go="" through="" with="" the="" colonoscopy="">
  • Posted

Hi

Im new here and have just read your post.

I had a Calprotectin test and mine came back at 35.

How did you get on with colonoscopy?

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.