Possible Diverticular Disease Advise

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. Am desperately looking for some advise regarding my ongoing condition. Ive been having constant left side abdo pain and dodgy bowel movements since around May this year. Also constant peeing. My GP went down the gynae route and sent me for a scan of uterus and ovaries. All normal, as was all the blood work done. I then went on to pass blood in a bowel movement, maroon coloured with fresh blood about 8 weeks ago. This lasted about 24 hours. Have had nothing since but awaiting a date for a colonoscopy. My GP has mentioned Diverticular but obviously I am concerned re cancer. I have had no weight loss and still have s good appetite despite a bad case of acid reflux hanging about. My bowel movements tend to be soft but never diarrhoea but I have noticed there are small hard lumps of darker coloured stool mixed in. Is it possible that these small lumps are stuck in the diverticular pooches but are flushed through by the looser stuff? Also is constant low grade pain a usual symptom? I do get the odd hot flush and dizziness but on the whole generally feel well. I would appreciate any help/advise from anyone with this condition. Thank you in advance ☺

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes sounds like diverticular to me. I had low grade pain with bouts of bad pain for years. Constipated on and off. Also had hot flashes ( thought I was going into menopause) frequent urination. 

Do check this out and do not eat seeds, nuts and hard to digest foods. Absolutely no popcorn. 

I wound up in emergency surgery for a free perforation with a temporary ileostomy. It has now been reversed. i would have much preferred elective surgery.

• Posted

Hi

I have v v similar to u .... Drs presume it is diverticular as have bad left hand abdo pain . I had a flare of it in July where the pain was horrific ..... MRI , ct scans didn't provide an answer, but they believe it is diet based. Following the fodmap diet and have found myself so much better. I have realised I have a dairy allergy and intolerances to other foods. I get dizzy, sick , cramps, swollen glands and pain when I eat a food that doesn't agree. It's a long old journey but feeling better than I did. Try following the fodmap diet ..... U can google it or get an app .... The monash low fodmap diet and see if it helps. It's horrid but like I say it's helping. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi, sounds similar to what I experienced. Thought mine was a gynaecological issue but laparoscopy revealed IBD which was later confirmed as diverticulitis. I felt unwell a lot and often had a dull ache on left side, compounded by acute abdominal cramps. Symptoms can be the same as cancer, so investigation needs to be done and colonoscopy is a good start, it will help confirm if it is Diverticulitis. in the meantime, drink plenty of fluids and try not to get constipated by eating healthily (fruit & fibre). Hopefully, you'll get your date soon and have some answers.

Sharon.

• Posted

Thank you all very much for your help.

I got my colonoscopy date today - Christmas Eve! Could only happen to me😕

Will definitely have a good look at my diet to

Thanks again ☺

• Posted

In July I passed black stools and ended up yet again in hospital this is old blood The reason they put down to painkillers in particular Ibuprofen and Omzeprazole counteracting each other. They inflamed my stomach lining. my pains always been on the right side so kept dismissing it to be deirvicular disease and sent me down the root of neurology gyni you can get diverticulitis on the right I also had terrible pains under right rib cage I had a colonoscopy. procedure last week again and they took tissue samples looking for IBS or Crones as can be linked I had no cancer or polyps but waiting for tissue samples to come back Two weeks ago was put on COLOFAC STOPS STOMACH CRAMPS it's helped 70 % my pain and getting better so assume IBS as well as dirvicular disease. However waiting results I think Omzeprazole no good it upset me gave me diarrhoea and side affects. I actually hadn't got anything wrong with my osophagus another mistake in shoving tablets just because upper gastric pain!! Probably you have IBS twined with other diverticulitis suggest you ask for COLOFAC most my pain caused extra by medics ignoring my pain on right and thinking I'm a nutcase just because they could not find or listen to me as a Patient need up in AE 8 times and hospital 3 times in 16 months My diverticulitis disease is chronic other CT scan was not normal last yearv and heads are rolling re my care I have been put under a brilliant consultant because the other made my life hell for 16 months under his care. I have had to go down the complaint root re him last year!
  • Posted

Hi just joined this as I am worried about my symptoms. I have been having pain in my lower left abdomen for about a year but lately I only seem to have the odd day where I feel ok. I have a lot of flatuence, I am never constipated but can go after everything I eat some days, mostly loose but no blood. I get indigestion, rumbling noises and sometimes acid reflux. My doctor has requested a ct scan and bloods. I haven't lost weight but have many sleepless nights worrying about having bowel cancer or ovarian cancer. I cannot eat things like nuts, seeds or popcorn, just hope I get an appointment ASAP.
    • Posted

Hi there. You have my sympathy as I know what its like to have sleepless nights with worrying! I have so many of your symptoms. Has your doctor mentioned Diverticular? Hopefully you will be referred soon and get some answers. Best wishes smile
  • Posted

Yes she did say she thought it was diverticuler but wanted to be sure. I have been having some slight pelvic pain and also pain in my back passage but I've put this down to wind. You can also experience this with ibs which I think I have suffered from on and off for a few years. I am trying to be positive and to keep off the internet searching for answers, only makes you think the worst! 

Thank you for your reply, best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.