Possible fistula - need advice urgently

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi diagnosed with UC approx 15 years ago. Recently tapered of steroids - had cateracts, joint pin etc. Approx 15 months ago was knocked down in RTA and had to waitover 1hr  for ambulance, got soaked led in road. Since hen bladder infections etc. In April noticed what looked like faceal mtter appeared to be coming from front passage. Spoke to GP and sent for ultrasound. Recalled for CT scan and told had had gallstones. GP said all ok with bladder and bowel. Seemed to settle down, however in around October flared up again with smelly vginal discharge. First GP on maternity leave so saw another who didnt really take much notice. SHe couldnt do smea test as to painful so sent to colposcopy clinic. THey advised referal to gynacology and would write to GP. Heard nothing so went for appointment, where GP said she would write and get me booked in. Heard nothing for weeks. Problem getting very excessive. Went again GP said she would write to gynacology - still nothing, saw locum explained discarge severe and was having to wear incontinence pants and pads. was useless and refused to do anything as results of smear not back. After Christmas saw another locum explained I thought I had fistula and that extreme ptroblems as if I coughed or sneezed everything flooded and could require change of clothes and everything sore and painfull. SHe checked no referal had been done een after waiting over a month. SHe agreed with me and said she would ensure was done later that day. I went back to surgery and it was a choose and book referral - next appointmen 7th March. Oher GP back from maternityleave. Saw her explained in etreme pain - feels like Ive been cut with a razor blade down below and painfull to walk and sit down. SHe then preceeded to tell me she thought I had a fistula and would no be able to get earlier appointment. I asked why nothing had shown up in ultrasound - she said completel the wrong test - then why did sshe send me initially. I was extremely frustrated as I have been explaining my symtoms and suggesting to them that I have possible fistula for months. Explained about the excruciating pain and how debilitating this was. SHe said I would not get earlier appointment as everyone busy. 

I'm currently trying to get a job and have intervies lined up but am worried if anything happens, apart from the pain which keeps me awake. I was in tears last night. They just dont seem to understand and even see me as a trouble maker as I go back and ask for thngs to be done. Was asked at last interview if I was available immediately, said yes but if this is a fissure then will need sorting after eventuall appointment with gynacology and told I may need surgery. ALso oher appointments lined up due to UC. I want to work and be proactive but am getting no help at all, can be in a lot of pain and worried sbout finding myself in am embarrasing siuation. Sorry for woffling on but don't know which way to turn and cant wait another two months.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Susan,

You've been through a dreadful time and it's appalling that you seem to be getting so little help or even understanding from your GP. Do you live in the UK?  If so, I was just wondering whether you could see a private GP, but what the ramifications would be about treatments, tests, etc were you to go down that route I do not personally know, but I am sure they would be able to advise you.

I'm so sorry that I can't think of any other suggestions other than landing yourself at your local A&E if the pain or symptoms get worse.

I do wish you well, and hope and pray that you get some proper help in the very near future.

Take care

With all good wishes,

Peter x       

• Posted

Hi Pca,

Thanks for the reply

It's good to relieve some support, if not advice. Not that I am belittling what you say or advise. I am going to speak to the local incontinence clinic in the morning and see if they can give me some advice on managing this

(Not sure if that is the right title) have also told myself I'm not going to give into this and will pester my gp if necessary to try and make them understand that although at the moment this may not be a serious medical issue that it is certainly having a serious effect on my life and I need it sorting asap.

Have looked at the various treatmentshould for fistula and not sure which is best. It would be good to know how others have got on. Thanks again for your support.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your kind response.  I think - or I should say I know - that at times it is absolutely necessary to badger the GPs - and consultants too, on occasions. We know how we feel and with the best will in the world they do not and canno,t so we have to stand up for ourselves and if that means we make a nuisance of ourselves sometimes, then so be it.

Kindest regards as always and do keep us up to date on how things go.

With all good wishes and kindest regards,

Peter A   

• Posted

Hi,

I now have an appointment 16th Feb. Gp also thinks it's a fistula and says most likely treatment is surgery. Does anyone have any experience of this and what's involved. I'm currently applying for jobs and would appreciate knowing how long I will be laid up for if at all.

Thanks in.advance

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.