Possible gastritis or is it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

For the past month or so I began experiencing really bad what felt like hunger pains. I would wake up in the morning and hit the exercise bike to reduce my stress for the day. Halfway through my routine I began getting really hungry. I didn't think much of it because I was use to going hours without food and being fine. Only an hour or two later I began having such bad hunger pains I thought that I was going to pass out. I ate something small and it all went away. Ever since that incident I would have hunger pains, gurgling, and belching every 2 hours of every day it seemed. No matter how much I ate it would return. I went to the docs and they ran a full panel of bloods. Tests came back normal ( diabetes, thyroid, liver, kidneys, heart and so on). My doctor said that I am healthy from what he can see. He told me I most likely have gastritis or a hernia. If I snack all day long it stays maintained but it won't go away. He prescribed 2 zantacs a day for two weeks with no spicy food. I do not drink alcohol but I do smoke. I stopped all coffee as well. I drink a lot of tea now. I do not have the common symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, or stabbing pains but I do have really bad hunger like pains at times. Does this sound like gastritis to anyone or does or has anyone had the same symptoms? If so what worked for you? I will be starting the Zantac today even though I hate medicine lol

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Edited

have you checked with doctor for a stool test of ova and  parasite ? 
    • Edited

Not yet Rocky but if it keeps up maybe so. A few things to add though, I have been changing my diet. I have cut out all spicy foods, no more coffee, more tea and I now eat 2 yougurts a day and sometimes a banana. I drink more water and Gatorade as well to stay hydrated.

Even now when I exercise I will feel amazing all day long except my stomach tends to gurgle a bit more. If I snack all day long I will be ok. I was waking up in the middle of the night with bad hunger pains but that has gone. Also note that I was diagnosed with espophagal reflux a few years ago. I never took anything for it and didn't have any serious issues. I am mildly lactose intolerant but I know what to stay away from. I should also add that lately with these hunger pains I will also feel nauseous or a bit lightheaded as if my blood sugar is low. My hands tend to tremor some and I may begin a little bit of sweating. Has any of these issues happened to you? I know that I have been stressed out but as of lately my anxiety has lessened but I'll still get this stuff. Doctor said that my stress, smoking, caffeine intake, and spicy foods are irritating it. Like I said though I cut out coffee, spicy foods and I try to exercise a bit but that irritates my issue also.

• Posted

Thats great. so you already know that you have mild allergic reaction to some types of food. Exercise irritates your stomach is an issue that should be addressed. 
    • Posted

Yes I spoke to the doctor about it and he said the Zantac should help after a while and eat after exercise and drink water while exercising. Seems like a pain considering I could always exercise up until recently without consequences
    • Posted

have you had endoscopy or upper GI ? 

That would tests a lot of stuff going on in your upper GI. 

• Posted

Not yet because I am trying to avoid that. I want to see if the Zantac will make a difference and if not I will probably have to go see a stomach doctor. I am sure he or she will make me get one
    • Posted

exactly same as that of my condition. i feel hunger but when i eat even a small meal, i feel fullness, dizziness and then tremor in my hands. this happens on afternoon meal only. i had a pangastritis severe problem 4 months ago. now this!

• Posted

Hi there

I know when I go for long periods of time without food then I feel dizzy and/or nauseous because of both a blood sugar drop and also stomach acid. I hate saying this but as a smoker it does aggravate indigestion symptoms. I gave up about 4 years ago and it definitely improved, if I smoked on an empty stomach it made me feel reallly yukky. 

I also can't tolerate normal milk so drink lactofree, however I even have a limit of how much of this I can take in a day. Total greek yoghurt is good for calcium, as is cheese if you struggle with normal dairy (it doesn't have a lot of lactose in it).

Regarding the stomach acid, I was permanently belching, feeling bloated despite not having an appetite, and I was put on omeprazole for about 9 months but it didn't really solve anything. I did my own research and am using natural methods, which work for me. I think that you have already found that eating a little something makes the hunger type pangs go away, perhaps this is a way to go for you, eating little and often?

• Posted

Thanks responding Allison! I drink lactaid milk but just as you said, I can't have too much of it. Yes cigarette smoking I know is a culprit ugh. My doctor told me to not quit at this moment in time because of my stress level. He said it most likely will not work and just cause more stress. He said to cut back and ween off when my stress lessens.

Like you I prefer natural methods if at all posssible. I am eating yougurt to try and strengthen up my digestive system. If you don't mind me asking, what other natural methods do you use?

• Posted

Hi magnets123

If you are a regular excerciser and excercise intensley you can overwork your adrenal glands which will release high amounts of cortisol which in turn will raise your stress levels and this can cause digestive system problems..search exercise and cortisol levels......best wishes....

• Posted

Lillian,

I have read up a bunch on cortisole and exercise but I have been doing rather mild workouts. I do maybe 5 miles in a bike without hardly breaking a sweat but it's just enough to edge my anxiety. Less than an hour after that or during, I will get super hungry. Never happened before until roughly a month ago. I just turned 40 so maybe my body is changing. My anxiety is at its highest in the morning now for some reason.

• Posted

Hi

I understand why you might find quitting difficult, and you certainly have to be really geared up to do it. I desperately wanted to stop after smoking for too many years. (Alan Carr's Easiway book by the way and I quit cold turkey wink

I always thought that my heartburn and belching were down to acid reflux but actually after reading up I don't think I have enough acid. We all need acid to digest our food, so turning it off or neutralising it doesn't make much sense to me!  Have a read up on "low stomach acid". What works for me is digestive bitters before a main meal and I couple that with a really decent probiotic with a multiple strains of the good bacteria. SIBO. The probiotic yogurt will help but the doses aren't as high as with a supplement.

I would say though that my tum gets really irritated by not eating enough. I know if I go too long between meals and then say have a tea or coffee then the gurgling and tummy rumbling starts. Definitely stay away from smoking in place of meals or have a little snack with a ciggie.

Hope this helps, I feel ya!!

• Posted

Hi magnets 123

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have your doc check your adrenal and cortisol levels.....our adrenals regulate our cortisol levels that regulate our anxiety, stress and emotions...its our cortisol and adrenals that get us up in the morning and our levels help us to deal with stress throughout the day and deal with 'Fight or Flight' situations....if your stress levels are high in the morning you may have a high adrenal/cortisol level in the mornings when they shouldn't be high on wakening and getting up they tise as the dsy goes on and dip in the evening.....have them checked just to rule it out as a process of elimination.....best wishes for an answer to your problem...

• Posted

sori rise as the day goes on (spellcheck)

:-)

• Posted

Lilian that is a great idea! How does the doctor check those levels? I just had a full panel done 2 weeks ago for thyroid, kidneys, liver, diabetes and so on. My blood work came back as beautiful according to the doctor lol. Is this a separate test or do you think it would have been captured in the panel?
    • Posted

Hi magnets 123

It is a separate test. If you are in UK, under the 'Freedom of Information Act,' you could ask for a print out of your blood results and check if your Adrenals and Cortisol were tested..but i doubt it if they were included in a complete blood count....

• Posted

Ahhh well thanks for the information and I do appreciate it. I am in the U.S. but yes I can request a copy of my bloods also. I didn't see anything on the paperwork about cortisol or anything like that. I may just go and get more blood work done. It can't hurt right? Lol

• Posted

Morning magnets123

No it can't hurt at all...it could be to your advantage......hope all goes well...keep us posted...have a good day.. :+)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.